Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A .72 caliber round nose with 2 driving bands cut into a Lyman 56 cal set of blocks. Found it on e-bay and outbid others for it. Cast a few and they measure .730" and weigh 723 grains. Don't have a gun to use it in, too big for 12 gauge. Someone did a nice job on the mould.

Now I need to find something to shoot it in.

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Doesn't sound too big for one of the OLD 12ga. paradox (or explorer) rifled 12ga. using brass cases. Not a gun type you'd come accross every day, but would have to assume someone whent to the trouble for a reason, and that's the only one that jumps out at me.

Most cylinder bore 12ga. will run about .725-.730" so it's not off by much on bore size...it's just that it won't fit into modern plastic shells (and unfortunatly, most of the modern made brass 12ga. cases are also a bit thick).

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You could probably get a push through drawing die, similar to the Lee push through bullet sizer, made to reduce your diameter enough to fit it into a 12 guage. Or you could get a custom barrel made to fit it and a lathe to turn some brass cases for it an you'd have a new elephant stopper!

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Hmmmmm, wonder if that logic would work on my wife? Seems I have plenty of molds that make bullets for guns I don't have.....

It does sound like fun putting together something to shoot your .730" bullet though! Indeed, perhaps a die to reduce the size for standard 12 ga. plastic shotshell hulls would be the answer, or maybe use it in a blackpowder 12 ga muzzleloader! What fun!

....or maybe a new lathe to turn down modern brass 12 ga hulls???? Oooooh, now there's an idea!

I like these logistical dillemmas!

Let us know what new toy you get to shoot your bullets!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some measuring and it is close, within .004", of fitting the bore on a 12 ga slug gun I have. This gun is made to shoot sabot rounds. The few test bullets I cast were with a hard #2 alloy I use for some handguns. It might be the right diameter with pure lead. I have to wonder about pressures though.

One of these is sitting on my bench for me to stare at and ponder.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,446 Posts
Bigfoot, it might be intended for paper hulls, with just a base wad. They are thinner than the plastic hulls like the AAs. You'd have to measure the chamber, then the wall thickness of some cases, and see how much clearance you have.

If he doesn't pipe up.... I would send a PM to James Gates to see if he has any ideas, he does a lot of interesting work with slugs and might know what the mould is for.

Post a picture if you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought 50 brass 12 ga. shells from Midway USA for $ 12.95 per 25. I don't know where to start with a load. Will have to think about this this winter after hunting season.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Hello Bigfoot!

Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you. Let us know what you find when you get started on this project. Sounds like fun!

God Bless,

·
Banned
40 Posts
Hey Bigfoot,

Any progress on that funky load? I've got a Marlin Slugmaster that might just love to try some of those 3/4" slugs.

Almost 2 oz of lead downrange per trigger. Ouch.

Got any pics? What did you pay for the mold, if I can ask?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts