Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a trend here. Has the .338 bore found favor over the .308. Makes no difference to me but just observing. I can't believe i'd like more than a .308 bore as for recoil. That is just me though. The .338's are laying down the thump on youtube though. I suppose the more lead you get moving at equal or better speed is always positive for power though, eh.:eek:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
They carry lots more energy at long range /shrug. They are better at longer ranges if you're going for bigger animals (elk, etc.) I saw a "Best of the West" recently (I don't normally watch them, just happened to be on as I was surfing by) where the guy was using a 6.5x284 to shoot a black bear at 925yds.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The big 338's offer several advantages for very long range. First is the 300 grain high BC bullets the offer lots of down range momentum with a larger diameter projectile than 30 cal. The .768 BC of the 300 grain SMK has half of the wind drift of the best 250 grain even when started 400 FPS slower at the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
... The .338's are laying down the thump on youtube though....:eek:
I doubt Youtube is statistically a good representation of the overall shooting population! If so, there would be a lot more TVs computers & refrigerators lying around with bullet holes in 'em. ( unless the raccoons, skunks etc eat those carcasses, too!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually don't use youtube except that a link was posted in a response like this, and I checked it out. Off duty marine snipers shooting at targets out to and including a mile. Hunting shots made at 4 times the distances i'd try, and I'll go 400 in good conditions. I'm just stating what I saw. And yes these boys were good. I would never be able to do that. I simply could not afford the gear you need for it and I have no access to sniper training. I'm not glorifying the long range game shots in any way, rather the sheer shooting ability of these trained men both on game and inanimate targets.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I actually don't use youtube except that a link was posted in a response like this, and I checked it out. Off duty marine snipers shooting at targets out to and including a mile. Hunting shots made at 4 times the distances i'd try, and I'll go 400 in good conditions. I'm just stating what I saw. And yes these boys were good. I would never be able to do that. I simply could not afford the gear you need for it and I have no access to sniper training. I'm not glorifying the long range game shots in any way, rather the sheer shooting ability of these trained men both on game and inanimate targets.

You have no need for sniper training in-order to be a profecient long range shooter, if fact the over whelming majority do not.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The .338 bullets are the highest diameter bullets that have good ballistic coefficients until you get to .510 diameter bullets for the 50 BMG. Consequently, they are an excellent choice for long-range hunting (and anti-personnel) purposes. The 338 Lapua Magnum is an amazing cartridge, but even in smaller cartridges, they have great potential.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If a man were to start into this kind of thing, would he be better off with a .338 WM, .338 Ultra, or.338 Lapua. Working class budget. it takes years to get a new rig. I handload everything and don't mind buying dies. Would the two larger shells be a better matcn for this game, overall, even though not as easy to find, or feed?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The .338WM kicks pretty hard and those other two kick a bit harder than that ;) From reading, I know that the .338WM handles (at least) up to 250gr bullets very well but I don't know anything about how well it does the 300gr really-high BC bullets (Tang probably can comment much more on this). The .338WM is also pretty common as far as cartridges go. There's another .338 you might want to include in your list as well... the .338/378 Weatherby (I think it's a touch bigger than the Lapua even).

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,266 Posts
I have a 338 Marlin Express and a 338 Win Mag. The Marlin gets shot a lot more than the Win mag. I used to love recoil but age has caught up with my joints and I just don't handle it like I used to. Both rounds will reach out to my personal 400 yard maximum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have prefered the 8.45 ,or .338 if you like, for serious long range work sinse the mid '80's. It is not "new",more like it has simply become better known,given it is "working" quite a bit in two theatres.Military folks always bring stuff home and it catches on with the puplic.

There were some articles in the gun rags acouple of decades ago about the .338-416 Rigby as a 300yrd+ elk gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The .338 bullets are the highest diameter bullets that have good ballistic coefficients until you get to .510 diameter bullets for the 50 BMG. Consequently, they are an excellent choice for long-range hunting (and anti-personnel) purposes. The 338 Lapua Magnum is an amazing cartridge, but even in smaller cartridges, they have great potential.

Except for the .408 Cheytac http://www.cheytac.com/Products/CheyTac408.asp

·
Registered
91 Posts
muleyskinner

I had the same thoughts as you. The 375 cheytac and the 408 cheytac are getting to be really popular choices for large caliber guns if you dont want the 50bmg. The BC is really good on both bullets in both 37 caliber and 40 caliber.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
muleyskinner

I had the same thoughts as you. The 375 cheytac and the 408 cheytac are getting to be really popular choices for large caliber guns if you dont want the 50bmg. The BC is really good on both bullets in both 37 caliber and 40 caliber.

You are now starting to get into huge case capacity cartridges. The Cheytac is also necked down to 338. In 338 Cal you wll burn about 148 grains of powder behind the 300 grain SMK for about 3300 FPS

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I think its more fun and challenging to sneak up to deer. :) Plus, its no where near as expensive as a custom chambered rifle or the back surgery after lugging it around all hunting season.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I think its more fun and challenging to sneak up to deer. :) Plus, its no where near as expensive as a custom chambered rifle or the back surgery after lugging it around all hunting season.
Even then, you don't really need to sneak up on them that close... You can shoot even a .30-30 for 150yds shots on deer with authority... that isn't exactly sneaking up on anything ;)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Yea but 20 feet is pretty darn close, I don't get that close very often, but I have had Pronghorns, Whitetails, and Mule deer all within that range.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
it has a different feel to it, too shoot an animal when its close enough to hit with a rock. Im also currious to know how a .338 WM would handle the 300 grain projectiles.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You need a 1-8" twist for the 300s, although I'd probably want a little more speed than the WM can deliver, the 250 SMK is an excellent bullet for standard twist guns (1-10")

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
shootin long up to 450-500 can be achieved taking just 2 shots a day.. i found that out this past year,,with my 30 06..out past that distance im not trying to beat any wind thats there..slim

1 - 20 of 56 Posts