Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a VZ-24 action that I sent off to be squared up so I can barrel and do the rest of the work myself. I have a guy that will do it for a reasonable price, and I'm busy now, so it's one of my winter projects.

I am trying to decide which caliber to choose. I am stuck between, the 6.5-06, 260AI, 6.5-284, or just a plain jane .308 target rifle.

I have a .243 win, 7mm Mag, .308 Norma, a 243-06 in the works, and a few others so I don't really need another deer rifle, but was thinking a 6.5-06 might make a nice dual purpose hunting/target rifle, along with any of the other 6.5's. I was also thinking that the .308 win might be a fun target gun because I don't have a designated target gun. If I did the 308, I would do a 1.2" diameter barrel, and If I did a 6.5 I would do a #5 contour barrel.

anyways... like I said too many choices!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've always wanted a 6.5-06 so thats what I have to vote for.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Guess I'd like to give a 6.5-284 a try, so it would be the dirrection I'd take.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
25/06, 6.5/06, or 6.5x55 would be my choice!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Personally, I love the 6.5 calibers. If the action is a long action and not one of the medium length Mausers, I'd go with the 6.5x284 or 6.5-06.

If a medium action, I'd go the 6.5x55. There's just something about a classic action chambered for a classic cartridge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's why I love the .308:
-very accurate
-good ballistics
-viable hunting round for medium game
-inexpensive, available ammunition found anywhere ammo is sold
-available, affordable reloading components
-will outperform most cartridges (whatever the criteria) and be a half step behind any other
-It's great fun to outshoot the 'fancy boys' with the ugly ol' .308

Best wishes.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been thinking about it a little more, and thought that If I did the 6.5 Cal it would be a hunting/target rifle like all my other rifles. I'm thinking a full blown target/ F-class rifle might be cool. Maybe that 1.2" straight heavy barrel in a modified .308 chambering. Basically a .308 with slightly straighter case with more case capacity and a little more shoulder angle.

It would be nice to use relatively inexpensive stuff for once, but about the only thing would be the brass.

I'm still tossing around ideas though. If I build one or the other now, the one that doesn't get built will get built eventually. I just don't know when.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I love the 6.5 calibers. If the action is a long action and not one of the medium length Mausers, I'd go with the 6.5x284 or 6.5-06.

If a medium action, I'd go the 6.5x55. There's just something about a classic action chambered for a classic cartridge.
The VZ-24 is a full length action, so very few length restriction on basics calibers.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I would suggest either .308 or 30-06. I do have a BRNO military 98 action also, my winter project one of these days is to a 9.3x62 with 7x57 secondary choice.

CD

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The VZ-24 is a full length action, so very few length restriction on basics calibers.

Well,
then your choice is made for you. there is no sense in using that action for a short cartidge like the 308 or 260. I'd chamber it for the 6.5x284 and never look back. The 6.5x284 absolutely RULES the long range matches out to 1000yds. It is also fully capable of killing anything in North America with the right bullets so you could use it in the field too.

·
Banned
605 Posts
The 6.5 Creedmore has got me more than a bit interested. Designed as a 1000 yard target round that has better ballistics than the 6.5x55. Interesting concept.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Well,
then your choice is made for you. there is no sense in using that action for a short cartidge like the 308 or 260. I'd chamber it for the 6.5x284 and never look back. The 6.5x284 absolutely RULES the long range matches out to 1000yds. It is also fully capable of killing anything in North America with the right bullets so you could use it in the field too.
I agree. The 6.5/.284 is a very fine cartridge and is simply a 6.5 SM without that horrible Short Magnum moniker.... :D:D

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I had my 6.5-06 built on a VZ.24 action and couldn't be happier with it. I just had a nice walnut stock fitted to it, and prior had a clubby composite stock on it and it accounted for a couple cow elk and muleys. If you wanted to go with 6.5-284, they're about the same in performance. I use 25-06 brass for my loading, which I have plenty of, and which works well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd always defer to the .308 caliber. It's just an all purpose great shooting and accurate round.

Get the .308 and don't look back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts