Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have/use one of these? It seems pretty interesting. I imagine the recoil is fairly stout with 286gr bullets. How does it compare to a .35 Whelen (what it seems to be most compared to in the USA) in recoil, etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have used one on elk for years. I hand load a 250 Nosler at about 2,600 FPS. I have never had to take a second shot to put an elk down.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the couple of previous threads regarding this cartridge.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I don't have one, but I can tell you the recoil is stouter than the .35 Whelen, and thats about I care to get whacked with on a regular basis. The bullets are more expensive and there are fewer to experiment with and the brass is more expensive and harder to get, factory ammunition is pretty much nonexistant except for mail order.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ Yeah, I mailorder pretty much all my ammo these days... just can't beat the price (even with shipping) compared to local stores. At midwayusa, there are a fair number of offerings for both... similarly priced except you can get Prvi Partisan for the 9.3x62 ($24/box).

·
Registered
22 Posts
9.3 brass can be made from firer froming 06 brass but I think you have to bump up the neck in a 375 then slowly bring it back down in your 9.3 die to from an auxcirlary shoulder or something like that. As far as bullets go there looks like lots of good choices, the Speer 270gr is reasonably priced and should do in most work and some nice premiums out there as well for this round is very popular in affirca. And recoil should be about 375 AI-ish which in the same wieght rifle I much perfer over 338 win. Alot of precivied recoil is from velocity more than bullet wieght. Otherwise very interesting round for big critters at reasonable range.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Anybody have/use one of these? It seems pretty interesting. I imagine the recoil is fairly stout with 286gr bullets. How does it compare to a .35 Whelen (what it seems to be most compared to in the USA) in recoil, etc.
I had a 7600 in .35 Whelen in my hands when the CDL was announced. I went to the gun shop I buy from the day I saw the ad, and ordered one. It's the best rifle I ever owned. My buddy bought a CZ in 9.3 X 62 the following year. Recoil wise, they are much the same. Accuracy wise, the CZ is in the same class as a M700. The CZ weighs a lb more.

As both rifles really shine with 250/286gr bullets, at nearly the same velocities, you wouldn't expect much difference on critters. And there isn't. If I were buying a 9.3, I'd just pony up the money for a couple hundred rounds of brass, and a pile of Speer or Hornady bullets. Either is a great alternative to the brutality of a .375 H&H, which I traded for the Whelen, and totally suitable for larger NA critters.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
shane,

I've got one!

The 9,3x62 Mauser has quite a history! Check out these links below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9.3x62mm

http://www.reloadersnest.com/article_9362_oct2803.asp

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/The+9.3x62+Mauser

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shane.
I have a 9.3x62 and am happy I chose the round. It's a bit better than the 35 Whelen in my opinion. I shoot a CZ 550 and use the speer 270 for most of my hunting. I'd feel very comfortable using the 270 speer load I developed to take elk out to 250 to 300 yards. The largest animal I have used the speer load on to date is a 1000 bison and it drilled a nice big hole through the animal and damaged very little meat.
Brass, dies and bullets are easy to find. I purchased 100 rounds of Lapua brass and 270 speers to start off with. The price point on the speers is easy on the pocket book. In my opinion the 270 speer will handle any average chore you would ask the 9.3 to do. Only time I'd feel the need to load a 286 to 320 would be to go after very big critters up close and personal. Other wise the 270 speer will handle any deer, pig, black bear or elk that walks.
The components are easy to find. My local gun store will arder me any thing I want for the 9.3. Midway and others all have 9.3 components.
Felt recoil in not offensive for the level of power offered in the 9.3x62.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Own a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 and a couple of .35 Whelens. I've been shooting the Whelen since the 700 Classic came out in it, truly an excellent caliber. My 9.3 shoots 285gr P/P loads and is MOA with them. To my shoulder recoil is more stout that the Whelen, but not objectionable. This season was my first hunting with the CZ and no shots on game. I'd figure that big SP bullet will be even more devastating on medium game than the Whelen though. Both are really useful calibers that too many shooters/hunters simply ignore. A real shame! :eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I build my 9.3 x 62 on a mauser 98 platform many years a go, when I came across one ad from a fellow in Alberta advertising new Lothar Walther barrel chambered for this cartridge at steal prices!
I like to say that is difficult to explain to some one the felt recoil, since this force is affected by several factors, stock configuration, total weight of the rifle, cartridge load, position of shooting, prone bench standing or hunting and also each person react differently to it.
My rig is over 9 lb. Classic straight stock configuration, with good quality shootgun recoil pad, I hand load exclusively with 286 grain bullets, old Norma PPDC (yellow plastic tip) over IMR 3031 near max load and to me it feel like the recoil from my Savage 30.06 (8lb rig) with 180 grain tip over a near max load of IMR 4350, with the following difference, the 9.3 is moore like a push when the 06 is more of a kick.
Cannot compare with .35 since never shoot one, but to me it feel a little less than browning .338 win mag and a lot less than CZ .375 H&H.
_________
roberto

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a Tikka light wieght in 9.3 and with a limsaver pad on I could shoot it all day long. It is a nice long shove rather than a sharp kick. Great Cartridge by far my favourite.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I also have the CZ550 American in the 9.3X62, a couple of .35 Whelens, and a .375 H&H. Because of their difference in diameter and bullet weights, the difference between these calibers are about like the difference between a .270Win and a .280Rem, and a .30/06. The 9.3X62 is not loaded to the same pressures as the Whelen (African "colonial" round), but has the advantage of using heavier bullets. I like the round because the CZ is such an accurate "set-up". If I had to choose between the two calibers, I'd pick the Whelen because of better availability of components. Recoil comparisons are comparable in the same weight guns if 250gr bullets are used in each (it "stiffens up" at 286gr and over, but is still substantially less than the .375 H&H with 300gr loads).

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The .370 Sako is a bit bigger than the 9.3x62 and a lot newer. I still depend on factory loads and there is only one offering at MidwayUSA for the .370 Sako so that's a bit 'risky' for me right now. Perhaps if I reloaded it wouldn't be.

BTW, for those that care, Chuck Hawks has a new article up comparing the .35 Whelen and the 9.3x62 this morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts