Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
So you are a Newbie, check this out

Newbies welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in. Here's some things we'd like you to read and think about.

Stickies: Please read the Stickies, they are notes at the head of the forums that can give you some guidance and updates on the particular forum your reading or want to post on. Such as the rules for using a forum like the trading post. We encourage you to read the stickies.

Questions on bullets, guns, shooting and hunting?

Before you ask a question you might want to check our forums to see if perhaps your question has already been discussed. There is a powerful search function available and years of gun, reloading and hunting data available for your edification.

What is my gun worth?
Often folks that join our forum do so to find out what their rifle/pistol or shotgun may be worth and their first question is I've got a nice 1954 Winchester 94 in 30-30 caliber and I would like to know what it's worth. This is probably a question that you should do some research on in places that sell guns like you have rather than on the shooting forum.

Most of us here including the moderators are not folks that evaluate or appraise guns. Though we may own similar guns they may have been purchased over the past 30 to 50 years or the day before yesterday from the fella next door for 50 bucks. I know few folks that wouldn't like to get a bargain. I'd also like to point out that firearms may be worth more in some parts of the country than in others.

Our members and moderators can help you with proper loading techniques, bullet selection, disassembly, assembly and some minor repairs, but appraisals are not something we do on a day to day basis. We would be glad to discuss hunting, shooting and reloading, but please seek out qualified appraisers to value your firearm.

I'm going to give several gun sales websites that you can go to along with a gun appraisal site on the West Coast that can give you a real world evaluation of what your gun might be worth. Keep in mind that for an accurate appraisal you really need to have your rifle looked at by someone who does this for a living. Just a description of your firearm and even a photo is not really enough to give us the ability to give you an idea of it's actual value. Another place to check is The Blue Book of Gun Values Available at most gun stores and some libraries.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/

http://www.gunbroker.com/

Appraisals West Coast

http://orcasoutfitters.com/page3.html

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Very well said, but maybe the general forum would be better since it is the 1st. Bob, Mike, kdub, M141a, all are great guys. I don't mean to exclude anyone, but you know me! You will like it here. It is very civilized and a huge knowledge base. I have been here a few years and I have gained a world of information. Members (and mods) from Louisiana to Alaska, all great folks. They are like family. Marshall is a very nice guy, he is busy making the bullets some of us shoot. If you want to learn, this is a great place. I am 46 years old, and have been shooting for 35 of those years in regulated competition. Trust me on this!
Everyone contributes! It is the best site I ever have been apart of! I have learned something from almost every member. Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice!

Thanks for the Warm Welcome.
How wise to assume I am a "New-B"
I was looking for info to DATE a "Browning" "Sweet Sixteen"
I already know that it's "Priceless" as it belonged to my Friends Father.
If there is a Real World "Serializer", that is not linked to some kind of AD, that would be just Fine and Dandy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If only I could be as good as you

You must be the smartest person here & have all the info us Newbys are after. I hope I'm as smart as you one day-I'm trying. For everyone that answered my questions & posted responses:eek: about the A5 I recently picked up- thank you so much. The responses were spot on. My guess is, this response will provoke being banned. O well- take care guys and thanks again-to most of you.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why thank you SeaPro, though I fail to see how asking members to do a search of our past forums for the reams of information already there or heading them toward certified appraisers for questions on valuations of their firearms has any relationship to your question on "when was a gun made".

Your response won't get you banned even if it is rather childish in nature. I'd hope that you continue to ask questions and get the same kind of answers you did on your original post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really like this site! It has many well versed hunters and firearm enthusiast's on it which can be extremly helpfull.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So your a newbie

Yea, I'm a newbie. :D Been a member for awhile, but haven't posted. :eek: Thanks for the info. I have been looking through some of the forums and have learned a lot. Been shooting for about 40 yrs., reloading my own for about 20 yrs., always learning something. It is nice to be able to get info easily from the forums, even though some one else had to do the hard searching. THANK YOU so much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
like knocker said, I wanted to become legit!
but have been reading alot on here in the past year,lots of info and well versed people thanks for the pointers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for these wise words!
I would like to say hello on this Forum. One of the first thing is to read a lot of the threads in this Forum.
Cheers,
Broomstick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im a newbie dont know how this works my question is need mfg date on mod 70 w serial number G93902 all serial nos i can find are 6 digit mines 5 whats up????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Am new to the "...Forum"; looks like just the ticket for those nagging questions about scope-rings to sticky reloading dies. Much appreciation!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the info, But!

Newbies welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in. Here's some things we'd like you to read and think about.

Stickies: Please read the Stickies, they are notes at the head of the forums that can give you some guidance and updates on the particular forum your reading or want to post on. Such as the rules for using a forum like the trading post. We encourage you to read the stickies.

Questions on bullets, guns, shooting and hunting?

Before you ask a question you might want to check our forums to see if perhaps your question has already been discussed. There is a powerful search function available and years of gun, reloading and hunting data available for your edification.

Often folks that join our forum do so to find out what their rifle/pistol or shotgun may be worth and their first question is I've got a nice 1954 Winchester 94 in 30-30 caliber and I would like to know what it's worth. This is probably a question that you should do some research on in places that sell guns like you have rather than on the shooting forum.

Most of us here including the moderators are not folks that evaluate or appraise guns. Though we may own similar guns they may have been purchased over the past 30 to 50 years or the day before yesterday from the fella next door for 50 bucks. I know few folks that wouldn't like to get a bargain. I'd also like to point out that firearms may be worth more in some parts of the country than in others.

Our members and moderators can help you with proper loading techniques, bullet selection, disassembly, assembly and some minor repairs, but appraisals are not something we do on a day to day basis. We would be glad to discuss hunting, shooting and reloading, but please seek out qualified appraisers to value your firearm.

I'm going to give several gun sales websites that you can go to along with a gun appraisal site on the West Coast that can give you a real world evaluation of what your gun might be worth. Keep in mind that for an accurate appraisal you really need to have your rifle looked at by someone who does this for a living. Just a description of your firearm and even a photo is not really enough to give us the ability to give you an idea of it's actual value. Another place to check is The Blue Book of Gun Values Available at most gun stores and some libraries.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/

http://www.guntrdr.com/

http://www.gunbroker.com/

Appraisals West Coast

http://orcasoutfitters.com/page3.html
Thanks for the info, but I have no desire to discuss the value of my guns here. I already have a good idea about all of their value. Anyway, I love to talk riflles, especially centerfire accurate rifles. According to Col, Townsen Whelen, only accurate rifles are interesting. I agree, but then accurate is a relative term. Is it accurate for a Garand? Is it accurate for a Bench rest rifle? Is it accuratr for Prarie Dog shooting? You get my drift.

So I am into all rifles, however I do like scoped sporters best of all and also scoped targat rifles. I have numerous hunting sporters and I happen to love them all. I am a Remington fan, a Ruger fan, a Savate fan and many more. I have a few Mausers I bought mainly as action doners for projects. Yeah yeah yeah so I'm a sinner that is butchering history. However most of my Mausers are Yugos and these were made after WWII so they don't have a real historical value as for WWII. They were made in the late 40s. I am currently having a .257 Roberts AI built on one of these as we speak. Also, I want to barrel one into a 6mm Rem. next. I used to have a 6mm and lost it in a divorce. I miss that rifle, so I'm going to get me another. And I can think of no better action than a Yugo for it. Yugo's fit the 57 MM cartridge to a TEE, since they are about 1/4 inch shorter than a regualar 98, if there is such a thing as a regular 98.

Anyway, you can see where I'm coming from. I'm just happy to he here.

Snake284-Port Lavaca TX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info, being a newbie I wasn't aware that in all honesty that is the last thing you guys would want to do, is go doing my leg work to find out the history of a gun of mine. I just have been getting conflicting reports and I am as confused now as when I first began. you guys are great and from what I can tell I will be back quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.