Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the blowtorch method with bullets halfway in water to soften the nose and used these bullets hunting. I hunt Texas whitetails with .45 colt and these deer are pretty small where a 300 gr. hardcast bullet might be a little much. The softened bullets look promising but need something tough enough in case the occasional hog wanders by.  Thanks Marshall for your email response. The tips helped.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
To PistolPete

I've used the Softnosed anealled bullets on several occasions, and always on deer.   Performance was stunning, if not distastefully destructive when large bone mass was encountered. Haven't tried them on anything larger or tougher than deer, at least in the handguns.  

Have used them off and on for years in my .444 Marlin... increases "shock therapy" on deer size critters, but allows penetration on heavier game such as elk.

I'm not sure that you would get an exit wound from them on a hog at handgun velocities.  (I started to go into that here, but decided to start a new thread, please read it!)

For deer though, you can't go much wrong.   Give them a try!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
About 10 years ago, I bought a device called a "Metering Lead Ladle". It is a steel tube with a funnel end on one side. The other end has a wood disk for a handle. A plunger on a spring is inserted in the other end and is adjustable for the amount of lead drawn into the syringe.

In practice, you set up two pots, one pure lead and one alloy. Once everything is up to temperature, inject a small measured amount of soft lead into your mold then quickly follow it with the alloy mix on top to fill the cavities. The finished product is a soft nose bullet with the two types of metal fused together.

This is another item I have yet to try. I may dig it out when the weather gets warmer to give it a whirl. I think I am getting the casting bug again.

(Edited by Contender at 12:20 pm on Jan. 11, 2001)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those who are interested in making soft nosed bullets should get a copy of The Fouling Shot (forerunner of The Cast Bullet) Journal No. 53 Jan-Feb 1985.  There is a section called "Experimenter's Forum" entitled Quench-Anneal: A Process for Soft Nose Cast Bullets by yours truely.  This works on 3% antimony/lead or wheelweights but it works better on 2% antimony/lead and you have to heat them up to 490-500 degrees F.  I have killed several deer with these and have shot them at 2450 ft/sec.  This will kill a bull elk at 200 yards.  TBC

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I thought Lyman made a bullet mold set that the barrel shaped base of a semi wad cutter, with cone shaped concavity in one end. The second mold threw the semi wad nose and with a matching male cone shaped base that fit into the  base with a drop of epoxy.
In theory you could cast the base out of linotype and the nose out of pure lead.
I had thought about getting Dave Corbin to make me a set of dies for my Corbin press that would allow me to swage a similar base using his basegard system and swaging a soft lead core and point in a second operation. Then swaging the two together in a third.
Jim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
I'm not sure I'd bother.   Like you I hunt in Texas and need a good deer/hog combination.

The .45's should make a heck of a hole through a deer, softnose or not.  I shot a hog lengthwise with a .45 WFN once.... what a mess.... but it sure was effective.

Anyway don't mean to discourage you from experimeting, but wanted to let you know that the standard bullet will work on either just fine.  In fact I plan on trying to soften some .357's, just for curiousity, when Marshall gets caught up and gets to my order.  But it isn't because they don't make a good wound channel as-is, just because I'm curious.

So in short if you're curious about it, by all means go ahead.  But rest assured that the 300 gr. WFN will do the job at about any hardness you can imagine.  Where do you hunt?  Gotten any pigs with your pistol yet?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike G- Appreciate the advice. I Talked to some other Tx hunters and they echoed your thoughts that regular LBT's will do the job. I have taken hogs with my .45 Long Colt with 260 speer JHP and that is why I came to this site. The Speer bullet hit a 140 lb sow broadside at 60 yds. Luckily it broke the spine before falling apart. No exit wound. I thought if that had been a shoulder of a big 400 lb boar I would have been in trouble.( Not too many climbable trees in south Texas).  I tried the annealing process used in the technical guide from this site and hope to compare the two this fall. Trying new stuff is always fun as long as a big hog is not on top of you proving you wrong!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Yes you would have been in trouble!!!  Wow... I would have thought that jacketed bullet would be enough.  Guess it just goes to show that experience will reveal the truth.  Most of the areas I've hunted.... climbing the trees might cause more damage than getting chewed up by a hog... who invented mesquite anyway?

I guess on a similar note, a friend shot a hog with 10mm pistol, 180 grain JHP of some variety (factory load), and the bullet came apart on the shoulder blade, never made it through the bone.  He managed to finish it off, and I don't think that it was much over 100 lbs.  Core/jacket separation.

By contrast I once finished off a wounded hog (broken back legs - rifle shot) with a 200 grain WFN from my 40 S&W.  One shot through the shoulders and it was stopped.  Hmmm... the 'little' .40 much outdid the big 10mm, and othe only difference was the bullet (one of Marshall's by the way).

Good luck...

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Jim,

I know someone who had one of those two-piece Lyman moulds. They are a neat idea but according to him it's very difficult to get good accuracy using bullets so constructed. He seems to think there may be voids where the two components mate and has tried several different epoxys without much success.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts