Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Due to MusgraveMan's postings, I ordered this book from South Africa.

The book is of limited use in the USA due to the fact that I am not aware of anyone importing the powders under the Sochem names. (A plug here, does anyone have any type of cross reference from Somchem names to USA importers names?)

I did find the book to be a pretty good storehouse of knowledge of the technical aspects of shooting and why those darn bullets just never seem to fly straight like I point 'em. For instance, on page 23 there is a graphic and description of how the muzzle of a rifle moved WRT (With Respect To) the start position, in microns, as actually measured, from start to bullet exit. It is NOT exactly consistent, I'll go away and come back and edit this to tell you how much a micron @ the muzzle is worth @ 100 yards.

You can access the Somchem site online, at https://www.somchemreload.com/ The web site has some information not included in the book, which I also found interesting. Things like the flame temperature of the powder (relates to how fast you burn up a barrel), specific energy, heat of explosion, and something I have never seen in any other powder company's information, how you can expect velocity to vary from lot to lot!!!! That would be EXCELLENT to have! Might be scary.

When I tried to order the book, I ended up going thru a really nice lady, Elmarie Zikmann, :D at the email address [email protected]. Phone number is +27 (21) 850 2541, fax is +27 21 850 2992. (You will have to add the international dialing prefix from your country in front). I think she was shocked someone from the USA wanted her book.:eek:

·
The Shadow
7,692 Posts
The book is of limited use in the USA due to the fact that I am not aware of anyone importing the powders under the Sochem names.

The web site has some information not included in the book, which I also found interesting. Things like the flame temperature of the powder (relates to how fast you burn up a barrel), specific energy, heat of explosion, and something I have never seen in any other powder company's information, how you can expect velocity to vary from lot to lot!!!! That would be EXCELLENT to have! Might be scary.
:
Sochem is a local name, the deference contractor that owns the facility is, as you noted, Rheinmetal. There are a few powders here, that are sourced from Rheinmetal(RL-17 for example). When General Dynamics was totally rebuilding the extruded plant in Quebec a few years ago, Hodgy hadn't ordered enough 8# bottles of "IMR 4064". The 1# bottles were still GD products, but the 8#ers were quietly sourced from Rhein, for a time. Search for a post MZ5 did titled something like "Where is smokeless powder made", may be very eye opening to you. I wouldn't expect a local name (likely to do with regulations and entity ownership laws) to ignore the parent companies orders, and sell a few pallets of powder shipped across the globe.

When Olin was still manufacturing things, they used to market burning temps, and give load data in volume, etc. You can still find some of that marketing (although Hodgy is not pushing it much) on the Winchester branded powders. Similarly, UncleNick had posted a chart with powders energy contents in Jules. Seems like I've seen flame temp approximations as well.... Could have been in a paper from the naval warfare testing center, can't recall at the moment.
I'm not positive how things work outside the US, but given who actually makes gunpowder, and for whom it is made; take the marketing fluff with a grain of salt. For an example close to home:
If you look at how tight many of the lots and tolerances are from powder coming out of GD's Florida plant, and fitting with their limited public marketing; remember that isn't what they sell to you and I. That is what they can do, and what they may do for trainload orders to a Governmental agency contract. What a surplus reseller, like Hodgdon, buys is contract over-runs and surplus product. They will take those various lots and blend them. Then they get bottled under various brands, and powder names. They also buy from multiple sources as the need arises. So what a plant is capable of, isn't what you and I get, seeing as we are the waste market.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Thanks a lot Darkker,

I am totally depressed now.
My reloading world was just imploded (instead of reloaded)!

...sort of laughing...???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts