Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had any problems with my 25-year old Ohaus 5-0-5 balance but thought I would like to verify the accuracy. Looked at the cost of weights and had sticker shock. I thought there has to be another way. Wait a minute we have a precision electronic balance at work. Got out the conversion tables and converted grains to ounces to grams. Weighed some miscellanous nuts, bolts, and washers on the electronic balance. Placed them in plastic bags and wrote what the grams and grains were for each. Tonight I'll check my 5-0-5 to see how it reads. I have checked my 5-0-5 with store bought bullets and found ti to be very close to what the bullet was supposed to eigh but now I'll know for sure. I could borrowed some of our certified weights (certified in grams) from work, but now I have some of my own.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,987 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me!

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked my old reliable 5-0-5 balance tonight with the homemade weights and found all four different weights read within 0.1 grains. Considering the tollerance of the balance at work plus the rounding of numbers doing the conversion from grams to grains I was more that pleased with the results.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have to admit that I do like my electronic scale, but the old Lyman-Ohaus scale that I bought second hand 34 years ago still is just as accurate as the digital scale. Those old boys really knew how to build them way back when.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts