Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are some things people seem continually confused about, and will get you moderated in one form or another.

--Politics.
This is not the forum for such things, PERIOD. I am tired of reading the "XX-tards are ruining Murrica!!". Not relevant to the board, don't care.

-- Assigning blame to objects.
I'm done listening to "XX firearm is only good for XX nefarious purpose, that's why it was created". If you have no interest in a certain firearm, that's fine. Be quiet and move on. Also go throw out all your non-stick cookware, Teflon wasn't created with you in mind either. :rolleyes:

--Rants / flame stories.
If you had a bad experience with a company or product, ranting about it with no specifics isn't helpful to the greater good, and is in poor character. Here is an example of what not to do:
"I ordered XX and it didn't work. So I called and told them they sold me junk. I will never do business with them again. Here is the owners number and email, and what he likes to eat".

Leave your personal tirades out of it, and be helpful; such as the example below:
"So I ordered XX and the adjustment screw was stripped. I called and talked to a CS person who said it was impossible to strip screws. When I offered to send them pictures, they laughed and hung-up on me. Guess I'm not going to do business with that company anymore."

THAT is specific to the issue, the attempted remedy, and the rationale that lead to your decision; which can be very helpful to the rest of us and our decisions.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Darkker,
A question brought on by a quickly closed Thread:
What Subject(s) is/are 'not suitable' for Discussion on the forum(s)?
And it's corollary question:
What Subject)s_ is/are "suitable ' for discussion on the Forum(s)?

Reason for the Questions:
A general forum Query for help by a new poster was very quickly Closed as "Not suitable for the Forum" (Opened on 8-8-2018 and closed on 8-9-2018).

Curious,
Chev. William
I wonder if any such queries are "suitable"?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,781 Posts
If the subject has a bearing on the board related topics then it is acceptable.

Manufacturing ballistic vests is hardly meeting this rule. Neither is inquiries about antique sled runners.

You have been around long enough to see this question come up often enough and read the responses given to understand what the policy is. No need for repetitive explanations .

Keep it firearm, shooting, reloading, hunting, etc. related.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,443 Posts
What kdub said.

RJ

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Our very good moderators seem to be mostly in agreement with each other on the subject.
So, the matter is all cleared up to the satisfaction of the moderators of the board then.
The "etc." part is a little vague, but I'm good with the rest of it.
Grateful for the clarification.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I guess I really didn't realize that some of that material would be considered inappropriate, or conflicting with forum etiquette. But with the examples provided by Darkker I think I have a god clear perspective, and will do my best to remain within the expected guidelines.

Though I try to avoid posting redundant response that's been clearly addressed by others, there have been times when I've responded with an essay stating what has already been clarified by myself and others. Example "Experiencing 4 of 10 primers aren't working" Response" " seat primers until you feel them bottom out in the pocket" It's stuff like this that I've been know to beat to death, I really need to start thinking as to whether my post will offer a new or additional perspectives, or in some way exploring not yet addressed material related to the OP's inquiry.

In conclusion, of all the internet forums I've ever joined, "Shoters Forum" has been an awesome and wonderful experience. The members and staff are respectful, just all around great folks to share time with, I mean that sincerely. This said, I will apply myself 100%.

SMOA

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,443 Posts
In response to Cheezy's question, "What's etc?", his thread about the rocks in Ireland in "military news" is very appropriate.

Thank you Cheezy.

RJ

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
You are most certainly welcome RJ. I'm pleased to contribute.

The thread regarding the rocks in Ireland is even less "firearm, shooting, reloading, hunting" related than the "ballistics vest" thing (or a host of other stuff that you/ we / I) have seen.
That's fine. I'm here because I enjoy the company of the board.

Point is, to say topics must be " firearm, shooting, reloading, hunting, etc. related", and then shut down a ballistic vest or 2nd amendment thread is sorta like wagging a finger and saying that "it depends on what the meaning of is "is?".

I understand perfectly the board policy even though it makes little sense. I shall try to abide by it (even though is very unclear).

" Firearm, shooting, reloading, hunting, etc. related" is not accurate.

"Some things not allowed" is (depending on your definition of "is"?) accurate.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,072 Posts
Cheezy,

Note where thread was moved to (Military News). Marshall added that section a long time ago, and generally anything relating to the armed forces goes there.

So, yeah, there is a bit of wiggle room. Anyway it was an interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

The ballistic vest thingy sounded a lot like someone fishing for free information for a commercial venture, among other things. Sometimes things don't pass the 'smell test.'

Appreciate your contributions on the board.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.