Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently obtained my CWP for my resident state of South Carolina and one of the main reasons for doing so was the fact that North Carolina has a recipatory agreement where they recognize our permits and we theirs. A list was given to us in the class with NC on it. Just to be sure, I got a copy of the NC rules concerning concealed carry too and it confirms the above. My family spends the summer up there and I cross the state line a LOT.

Last week I had occasion to see a North Carolina Highway Patrolman who works in Transylvania County, NC, the area where I have a house, and in the course of our conversation he emphaticly stated that I was mistaken, that my South Carolina concealed weapons permit was not valid in NC and if he caught me with one, he would arrest me. He also stated that as a LEO he could not carry a concealed weapon into SC.

Confussed, I came home and emailed the NC Attorny General's office and today got a response... a copy of the law and a listing of the states who's permits NC honors but no response to the main issue I asked: Why is it a state LEO does not know state law?

I'm certain that if I were arrested, nothing would come of it but I certainly don't want the hassle! I won't rest until I get this thing resolved but I wonder how many others like him are out there. (This guy is no rookie either!) I doubt a copy of the law in hand would convince this guy but you can bet I'll have one in the glove box!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,413 Posts
The police are not necessarily the expert on laws. Good idea to keep one in the glove box.

I'd forward him a copy if you have an address :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You ran in to a moron. There are as many morons in law enforcement as there are in any other occupation. It is a good bit of information to bear in mind any time you interact with an LEO. I am regularly ask questions regarding our SC concealed carry law by local city cops and sheriff's deputies. They know that I am familiar with the law as a CWP holder for many years, and they are clueless..

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I can't know your states law like you do. If your SURE, don't worry over it. Just be descrete and polite. You are a threat to no one (exept those that are a threat to you and yours).

Cheezywan

·
Registered
23 Posts
morons

It is a desaster that law ENFORCMENT officers are not familiar with laws and the rights of the citizens they protect. It would be a greater desaster if a law abiding citizen were harmed due to a lack of knowledge of the law by a law enforcement officer. Ignorence of the law is not an excuse. This should apply to law enforcement officers also. Learn the rights of the citizens you represent. and react accordingly.

·
Banned
421 Posts
A LEO who does not know the laws he is sworn to uphold is nothing new unfortunately. I teach Federal DOT air brake certification courses for technicians, and I have met a lot of LEOs who did not know the laws regarding air brakes. I have met many who were very good about it, and have had many of them in my class over the years. But I also met many others who had an attitude about it, and professed to knowing it all. I even had to get the Federal DOT involved to set an entire state's DOT enforcement division straight on the law regarding automatic slack adjusters. Even that didn't do the trick for many of them.
Air brake laws can't hold a candle to the importance of CCW laws I understand, but it's another sad example of how overburdened we all are with unnecessarily complex laws and regulations. No LEO could possibly hope to know all the laws, but on the other hand, many of them could handle themselves a lot better regarding laws they are unsure of. Some cases could get downright dangerous.
In the end, if you are in disagreement with a LEO, remember that it will do you know good to push the issue. If you can't convince them they are mistaken, just go along, and prove your case in court if need be. Any lawyer should be able to get the case dismissed before even coming to court. That's much better than getting arrested IMO.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
well being from n. c. i can tell you that as a group our higway patrol has been mostly 1st class people.. but like some body else said theres a
few idiots in every crowd... you said he was young.. my guess is possibly thier orentation into the force could possibly be changing..in other words the teachers are emphasizing different agendas..
now as to carrying in my great state.. as long as you stay out of our inner citys..in that im not pinpointing the blacks by any means ..but those what ever color raised on wellfare..all you have to worry about is mabe a nut in rural n.c... we can avoid them..
i carry all the time an i know my little town of new london is safe enough ,,i ll probably never have to use it in this old timey n.c. town..
old timey ,,being a compliment understand..slim
ps.. now don t come a rushing dn here.. let me keep our little bit of heaven ..long as it last..just kidding ..you welcome any time..but just visit ,,a small town is called that for a reason..

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,266 Posts
As a retired state trooper I can verify that I did not know all the laws that were on the books. I tried to stay abreast of any changes or amenments to existing laws and new laws but that is a lot harder than the average person can imagine. Often it is a year or so before they come to print so you can actually read them. Concealed carry laws change daily due to ongoing agreements between states.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
A trooper carries a gun -- but he doesn't need a permit to do it. The badge suffices. My point -- it comes as no surprise that a trooper wouldn't know the concealed carry law.

A comment on small-town safety -- I don't know New London, and I don't doubt slim60's assertion that it is a safe place. But I will say that most folks have no clue as to the safety of their small town or neighborhood. I worked for a while as a 911 operator/dispatcher in our county. Here, 911 handles every emergency call to every municipal PD in the county, plus EMS, fire, and Sheriff's departments. Not 5% of the violent and/or criminal incidents that happen are ever reported publicly. Gang fights, muggings, purse-snatchings, strongarm robberies go on all day, every day, and unless a major public fracas or murder takes place, no one ever hears of it. A mere shooting rarely makes the newspaper. We even have a small corps of street prostitutes who can be found downtown any night after midnight, but the general reaction of most folks I have told this has been complete disbelief -- "not here". If you're not an LEO or otherwise associated with law enforcement, or a part of the girls' clientele, you'd never know they were in business. All of this in a quiet town with a population of about 5000.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I've read a few of John R. Lotts' research papers and in many he states that less than 1% of all crime is ever reported, of which less than 10% is ever solved and the average citizen commits 2-3 felonies a day without ever knowing it because of the amount of laws in place.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I don't know about the 2-3 felonies a day, as those are pretty well defined and known; but doubtless, we all cross the line on numerous misdemeanors and minor offenses every day. I agree that only a small percentage of crimes get reported, though. However, the 5% figure I cited is the percentage of actual reported crimes that simply don't get published anywhere, and that people are unaware even occurred -- in many cases, even when they happened on the same street on which they live. And I re-emphasize -- this is in a small town. Lord only knows what all goes on in bigger places.

Getting back to the original post -- if I, as a CWP-holding SC resident were arrested by a NC Trooper for legally carrying in NC, I would be secretly celebrating on the way to the jailhouse, and that first call to my attorney would be a doozy. Great false arrest case!

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
well n my little haven new london ,,our numbers are well under a 1000..
the kinda place that everybody knows if the power goes off for a while,,an its a conversation piece the next day..its just a wonderful little town.. if theres a fight between 2 teenagers it will be in most conversations for a mabe several days.. but the people are just civilised an peaceful..
i was raised near a town named waxhaw.. its population 800 .. in that town was born what came to be known as the monroe mafia..
i knew most of them as boys..its was pretty much known what you could expect from them..most are dead an died the way they lived..
but im telling you new london is a real maberry..i really mean that.. just a friendly little town of lawbiding people ,,raising thier kids right..its almost amazed me that in this day,, a town like my little new london can even exist..the people are not all that gossipy either.. which was also a big surprise as small towns are pron to that.. i wish everybody could live here as its a place that other than an occasional straying teen theres just no trouble .. believe me id know.. i had the deputy come to my house because not knowing i was actually in the city limits i was shooting openly.. now i be sure an shoot so it doesn t get reported .. from my concrete well house the sound is sent through the door away from town an sounds as if its a hunter in the woods thereabouts..im a outlaw i admit i9t..but i don t hurt anybody an thats pretty much all the rest of the folk expect.. they mind thier business ,,i mind mine.. im telling you guys places like this ,,still exist..this peaceful though are few an far between ..slim

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,266 Posts
I totally agree with Pisgah. Police officers don't have to worry about where they carry their weapons. A private CCW holder has to know the law about where he carries his. As a retired state trooper and reserve deputy, I carry mine where ever I want without regard to state by state agreements.
As far as peaceful communities go, the parish in which I live has a very low crime rate while the one across the Red River has a very high crime rate. The difference is our parish has a very large jail and a court system that will give you some time if you commit a crime and the crooks know it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
An update to my original post which sort of got off topic.:)

First of all, I'd like to point out that this all came about because I want to abide by the letter of the law and I understand it is my responsibility to know the law, in this regard. However, LEOs have the power of arrest and I just don't want the hassle of a false arrest if it can be avoided.

I sent a letter to the Sheriff of Transylvania County and the Commander of the North Carolina Highway Patrol detailing this event but I did not use the officer's name. I received very professional and helpful letters from both. Each agreed that, as a SC CWP holder, I am indeed authorized to carry a concealed weapon in NC. The Commanding Colonel of the NCHP stated; "Accordingly, I am forwarding a copy of your letter and my response to the Troop Commander for Troop G so that he can insure that all of his Troopers, including troopers assigned to Transylvania County are familiar with the reciprocity provisions related to North Carolina Concealed Carrier Law."

These actions are exactly as I had hoped they would be and I am very satisfied. Copies of the NC law, reciprocity agreement and these letters are all now in the glove boxes of my vehicles.;)

Merry Christmas to all and may you have a prosperous and safe New Year!:D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a buddy who is a LEO and I recently asked him about some laws on CWP and carrying a loaded pistol in your truck here in LA. He basically told me that no matter what the laws read, if they want to make your life miserable, they can. It's their word against yours. Their perception of where how and why the firearm was brought up is exactly that, their perception. Even though you may be in the right, it may take a few hours in jail, an attorney fee, and a few months to get your weapon back. What a hassle! Moral of the story, keep your head low and steer clear of altercations unless it's a life or death situation.
My father who has a CWP in Minnesota once asked the local sheriff, who of all people at the time had the last say in who gets their CCP renewed, if when he got stopped for a traffic incident should he mention he was carrying. The sheriff said no it would be best kept to yourself unless they asked you.:confused:

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Osprey is totally right! Law Enforcement can and will make you look like you were reaching for that gun and threatening and that you were challenging them.

Some states require you to notify, MT does not, although if you get pulled over it comes up when they pull your stats. In my opinion, that is a little late to know that you just pulled over a murderous cop killer with a CWP.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts