Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends All.....Last week, at a local gun show, I picked up one of the little New England single shots in .22 Hornet for a boat/truck gun. I have been amazed at the accuracy of this little rifle. The only fault I have found is the trigger.
Now.......The reason for this post is what all you can do with as far as extra barrels. They have shotgun barrels (smooth and rifled) and extra rifle barrels (in many calibers), plus muzzle loader barrels, that they will fit on you gun........for $100 or less!
No....this is not a fancy firearm! It's a tough, simple, working gun with very few parts to break. For tha hunter in foul weather conditions, etc.......it's about perfet! Take a minute and check out H&R's webpage. Best Regards, James

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
I'll second the motion that these are incredibly accurate guns. I've had several through the years, and the most memorable occasion was when I took a Remington 700 stainless fluted-barrel .223 home from the gunshop and developed my very best load for an upcoming rock-chuck hunt. I took the Rem 700 to the range for one last zeroing session before the trip, too, I also took along a little NEF Handi-rifle in .223 as well. The Handi-rifle had only been bore-sighted, and needed to be dialed in as an "extra gun" for another fellow comming along who hadn't any varmint rig .

Well, the Handi-Rifle made that whiz-bang synthetic-stocked-fluted-barreled-stainless Remington 700 run and hide! After zeroing the scope, the second 5 shot group out of the Handi-Rifle was under .25"! Then proceeded to shoot three more consecutive groups comparable with the little single-shot.

Nope, not necessarily pretty, by any stretch of the imagination. But brutally rugged, functional, safe, simple and accurate they are. Affordable as well.

Good guns for the money.

Thanks for the report James.

God Bless,

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rigtho Marshall.......From my posting the past, you all know I love Ruger No1's and No3's......but what really tears you is the honest fact that these SS outshoot them on a daily basis. No shots grouping in a vertical string, no glass bedding, etc.....just feed it and pull the trigger.
Speaking of triggers.......They run about 6 pounds plus out of the box! Now....John Anderson sent his down that was a .357 Mag....now a .357 Max. His trigger is crisp and light. On the phone he said all he did was put the action pins in a drill press and polish them glass smooth and take one coil off the spring. The kicker though, is you have to have slave pins to put it back together....no real problem. All the trigger guts are in the trigger group. Put it together with slave pins, line it up in frame , and drive in the action pins.
Yes. it's ugly as a hog snout....but does it shoot!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nef will set the trigger for you if you request it when you send it in for extra barrels. They usually come back at around 3.5 to 4 pounds. If you have any trouble with accuracy with one of the barrels try adjusting the tourque on the forend screw. About a sixteenth of a turn at the time. A rubber washer under the forend will sometimes help also. They come out of the box good butcan usually be tuned some.

·
Registered
357 Posts
NEF vs Rossi?

Hi Guys!
I have been looking at buying an inexpensive 44 mag single shot rifle in case I need to shoot farther than I accurately can with my 44 handgun. I used to own a NEF 30-30 but have not seen a recent NEF up close, but a local gun shop has the Rossi stainless single shot rifles, which I guess is a NEF knockoff. The Rossi has a small lever safety on the left side of the receiver. Looking at them on their web sites - http://www.hr1871.com/ and http://www.rossiusa.com/ - the most noticeable difference to me is the stock shapes and the 44 mag NEF is 7 lbs and the Rossi is only 5 lbs, plus the NEF is not available in stainless steel. I guess there is more metal in the NEF??? The stainless Rossi can be purchased for a little under $200 at the local gun shop.
Does anyone know any other difference or advantage or disadvantage of one of these over the other?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Friend Dave.......I just don't know anything about the Rossi, but I can tell you that the NEF is one tough little gun. They are selling very good in North Florida. I picked up a Hornet with a 20" barrel......various shooting/hunting friends are using them in .44 Mag and .357 Mag. Two have been rechambered.....one to .357 Max and one to my .44 Mag Max.
Now the price is about the same, but there is one advantage...the NEf can be fitted with some 30+ different barrel combos at the factory, most around $75.00!
No, it's no Ruger No.1......but shoots as well or better.
Best Regards, James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts