Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me about the hunting in South Texas!! I just recieved a job offer that is going to take me to either Marfa or Laredo Texas. I have hunted a few times in north texas near the panhandle. My fatherenlaw has land up their. But I figgure if I am moving to south texas why not check out the hunting.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Lotsa deer and hogs. And turkeys and javelina. But you're going to have to get a lease.

Fun, but expensive. Best bet might be out-of-deer-season hog hunts on some of the big ranches. Get referrals before you go to make sure they do have huntable populations.

Resist the temptation to shoot a javelina. Get downwind and you'll know why! :eek:

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
Think Tom mentioned some ranches have exotic sheep hunts, too.

Nice muleys in the Marfa area. Whitetail in Laredo.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive hurd from several people that javelina stink realy bad. Stink does not much bother me. However how do they taste? Some people I know salavate just thinking about them others want to run to the bathroom and well you get the picture.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Well I guess you're going to have to kill one to find out. If you can imagine field-dressing a 3-day old roadkill skunk on I-10 in August, that will pretty well sum it up. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
24,113 Posts
Quit hunting the critters years ago after cleaning my 2nd one. Had to do the 2nd just to verify what I thought on doing the first one. I'll leave them for the mountain lions to gnaw on.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I did a lot of looking into the two locations. I called my contact this morning and I am going to Alpine which is right near Marfa. Larado does not seam like my kinda place. I cant wate to get out in the desert and do some hunting.

I hear a lot about the so called musk glan also know as the stink gland. I was told if you kill one you are best to shoot it in the head or neck. While skinning it do not tuch the hide then the meat. Use one hand for the hide one for the meat and try to keep as much hair as you can off the meat. I guess the get the stinkey musk crud all over there fur. The more I think about it the more it does not seam like its worth dealing with. I also found out thet they are not related to the wild hogs at all. They are more closly related to the rinocerous or hippo? Is that true?

·
24,113 Posts
This is true - an animal distinct from the pig. Just looks like a junior version. If you want one, go for the baby ones called "reds". Best eating and not quite so stinky.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Well I did a lot of looking into the two locations. I called my contact this morning and I am going to Alpine which is right near Marfa. Larado does not seam like my kinda place. I cant wate to get out in the desert and do some hunting.

I hear a lot about the so called musk glan also know as the stink gland. I was told if you kill one you are best to shoot it in the head or neck. While skinning it do not tuch the hide then the meat. Use one hand for the hide one for the meat and try to keep as much hair as you can off the meat. I guess the get the stinkey musk crud all over there fur. The more I think about it the more it does not seam like its worth dealing with. I also found out thet they are not related to the wild hogs at all. They are more closly related to the rinocerous or hippo? Is that true?
If you are going to Alpine, you have Elk right there in the Davis Mountains.
Fort Davis is my wife's favorite getaway.
Go to Reata restaurant in Alpine and get a good steak. The best around!
I will be Mule deer hunting 25 miles from Alpine next week.
Good choice!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there any public hunting land in the area? I am planning on purchaseing some hunting land with my fatherenlaw with in a year of moving there. At least I am going to try. If not I need a place to hunt next year! I did not realize there where elk in that part of texas. Ive always wanted to go elk hunting. But from looking at it youve got to pay somebody to do it. But Id probably hire a guide anyway. Im gonna have to get a new rifle!! All Ive got for hunting right now is lever guns and shotguns

·
Registered
753 Posts
Is there any public hunting land in the area? I am planning on purchaseing some hunting land with my fatherenlaw with in a year of moving there. At least I am going to try. If not I need a place to hunt next year! I did not realize there where elk in that part of texas. Ive always wanted to go elk hunting. But from looking at it youve got to pay somebody to do it. But Id probably hire a guide anyway. Im gonna have to get a new rifle!! All Ive got for hunting right now is lever guns and shotguns

Thought you'd want to know, I was just checking the prices of some ranches out toward Marfa, Alpine and Ft. Davis. I hope you and your father-in law are multimillionaires. The prices I saw for some large ranches for sale out start at $750,000 heading toward multi-million dollar ranches. Of course, you are getting lots and lots of land to hunt on. There is the Ellephant Mountain WMA south of Alpine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I was looking out there and considering a hunting lease, the various ranches were mostly over 1000 acres and their lleases were charged by the acre and sometimes had a minimum number of guns that had to participate in the lease. Some of the places were up over $10 per acre!!! Thay was a few years back.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Zapzoo, javelina are first cousins to the South American tapirs and distant cousins to the raccoon. IF carefully skinned (after a preferred head/neck shot), try slow cooking in a pit over mesquite with constant sopping (soaking/mopping) with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and cooking oil spiced with a can of Rotel. Very toothsome.

Shop for leases out west. They vary widely, but remember it takes a fair amount of acreage per animal for forage. The larger populations of exotics will be farther east in the Hill Country. Hogs becoming a problem in Marfa area. You might be welcome on some ranches, just have to ask.

Laredo is trophy rack country, but the priviledge comes too dearly for mortals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts