Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

I rented a DAO SP101 today and shot 50 rnds of 110 grain Win. white box magnums thru it.
I just wanted to comment on the gun and see if anyone else shares my views on it.
I have bigger than normal hands, and I found the grips to be great, the gun doesn't roll or torque at all. Recoil was a lot milder than I expected, the other .357s I have fired were from a S&W mdl 19 and three Blackhawks.
Accuracy of the gun seemed fine, my acccuracy needs some work, its been a while since I did a lot of D/A shooting.
There is a reason they tell you not to stage the trigger when shooting double action, this was re-enforced in my mind after I shot the target holder (!) this was on a indoor range where you push the button to retrieve the target and run it out, on closer examination it was obvious I was not the first one to hit it....
The trigger reach seems a little short for me, combined with the heavy pull fatigued me and caused groups to get ugly.
All around a fun gun to shoot, and I am picking up the .22 version as soon as I can, then a .357 DAO if I can get used to the double action trigger pull.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had (sadly emphasize HAD) an SP-101 in .357 and it was a very good gun. Sold it to my son because I had trouble seeing the sights. It was rather nasty to shoot with 158 gr full load magnum ammo. I probably should have redone the grips, maybe had it ported to tame the muzzle jump. As far as the sights go, the folks with younger eyes (and no bifocals) probably find them OK - I tried daubing them with all kinds of colors, paints, blackening, you-name-it and nohing helped. My son invested some money in laser grips and loves the gun. I replaced it with a ported Taurus 445 in .44 Special and find its sights work better for me. As far as DAO, I have a Ruger Police 6 in .38 spl that is very smooth - just had to get used to it. With no hammer spur there isn't much to catch on clothing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does anyone else look at those pretty little .357s and see a .41 or .44 special?
Wonder what that would cost me? Like I need another gun!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But if they are a 5 shot .357 with relatively thin cylinder walls, wouldn't that make them a 4 shot .44spl?

·
Registered
271 Posts
The cylinder walls on my Taurus 445 are not thin. Cylinder diameter is a tad bigger than my old Colt detective special 6 shot .38. Loaded the steel version weighs in at 2 pounds so it's not a light weight. I looked into a Charter 2000 but got some negative feedback about inconsistant quality (who do you believe, anyway?). S&W has a 5 shot .44 spl but it is a lot pricier than the Taurus. I rented a 445 unported DAO at the range and liked it but the grip punished the web of my hand after 25 rounds. I chose the ported version and am glad I did. I went to the range a couple days ago @ shot two 6" 10 shot groups offhand double action at 15 yards. Not up to Elmer Keith performace but about as good as my eyes will let me do.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had not looked a cylinder walls as a problem, so I don't know about that, but the 357 operates at around 38,000 psi and the 44 special at around 14,000. The .41 is a handload only round and should be very near the 44 in pressure. Starting loads are recommended as 1 grain under starting loads for the 44 special with equivalent bullet weight.
It ought to work.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was suprised at the thickness of the cyinder walls on the SP101 when I first opened the cylinder. Its not so much a matter of strength, I think the cylinder is physically too small to fit 5 .44 or .41 rounds into.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Jim, if you are interested in a 41 snubby, take a look at the Taurus. I believe the model number is 415. It is available in SS or Titanium. I believe the frame is going to be larger than the SP frame. More like a GP frame.

Terry

·
Registered
311 Posts
twillis,
I don't think I am. I just like to speculate. Something like this would only happen if I found one so cheap that I couldn't pass it up. I read about someone that had bought a 357 blackhawk that had been drug behind a truck and had it made into a 41 special with birdshead grips. Right now, I need a 22 and that will fill my battery for a while unless as I said something special comes along.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I own a ruger dao sp101, I wanted a small, powerfull, no frills carry-gun and this was the best package I could find.

I have used both 110 jhp and 125 gr jhp, both a reasonably accurate at the 7 yard mark (five quick shots in a 3-4" group).

Recoil is more noticable if you go up to 158s (why bother when the 125s should stop anything on two feet)

The trigger took a little to get used to but I found that if you don't over-think it and just point and shoot you do not notice it any more.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My wife carries the SP-101 in .357, DAO. We think it is a very fine handgun and shooting 125 gr. Cor-Bon bullets is quite an experience. Recoil is stiff, but not too bad. About that trigger pull, get a Wolff spring kit (comes with several different powered hammer springs) and give it a try. Even with the weakest hammer spring we have gotten 100% ignition on every ammo and reload we have run through it and it turns the rather crappy factory pull into a thing of beauty. No more trigger finger fatigue no matter how many rounds you shoot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the Wolf springs, I will give them a try.

I recently tried a new load that seemed fairly accurate (all 5-shots in a 4 inch group at 20 feet, three in the X!)

110 gr jhp over 5.5 grains of clays.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Coming in rather late in this discusion, I'd like to add a couple points.

First off, I had one of the early SP-101's marked for 125-grain .357's only. It was nice to shoot, pretty accurate considering the tiny sights, but was exceptionally uncomfortable to carry in an ankle holster compared to a S&W J-frame or Colt D-frame. Just the way it's designed puts a big knob of metal right on the ball of my ankle. OUCH! For quite sometime I've used a Colt Magnum Carry and like it better for the better handling, 6th shot, and more comfortable carry on the ankle.

As for conversions to .41 or .44, I'd say pass. Without handloads the .44 Spl. is pretty lame. Home brewed ammo is a no-no from a legal standpoint for defense, so I think it isn't a hot concept. That said, years ago I had the opportunity to buy an ASP .44 Special. These were Ruger Speed Sixes with entirely new, 5-shot cylinders. Back in those days, when expansion was quite iffy with most HP ammo, a big bore with Keiths made more sense than today.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since this post got drug up from the grave.... I have never read anything other than speculation that handloads are bad from a legal point of view. I would use factory ammo simply because premium factory ammo goes bang-every time. Also premium defense ammo is loaded with flash reducing powders and moisture sealed.

Interestingly, in G&A's Cooper's Corner this month, Jeff Cooper says" A .357 snubby may not be an especially high-class firearm, but will certainly do for unsighted fire across the bar. High-grade firearms can only be appreciated by those who understand them."

I guess I don't understand them....

Andy

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Actually Mas Ayoob has provided a number of court cases where handloads have come back to haunt defendents. I believed the way you do until a friend showed me an old article in Combat Handguns with four or five such instances. As I recall the handloads became material problems for the defense in two or three criminal cases and one or two subsequent civil actions.

The simple question that needs be addressed is why bother with handloads? Unless you're using a whimpy cartridge, you nor I can make a home brewed carry load that's as good or better than factory offerings. Without the possibility of legal ramifications. To each his own but I think if you use handloads you're in a tiny minority of pistol packers.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
What Bill said, and another advantage of factory ammo is that there is statistical data on police shootings (Evan Marshall's book and probably others), so you can rank the different brands by how effective they are. Hey, it's your life, you might as well get the good stuff! Also you can bias your choice toward more penetration, less penetration, etc., to suit your personal circumstances (ie. apartment with paper-thin walls vs. rural area and so on).

Frankly the factory ammo now is pretty good stuff. 20 or 30 years ago, there could be an argument made toward needing handloads with certain calibers to make them effective, but those days are long past. Even some fairly obscure calibers are now being loaded by companies like Cor-Bon, so you don't have to depend on communist-surplus military ball for your Makarov, for example.

If I was on my way home from the deer camp and had to put a 300gr. WFNGC through some miscreant, instead of my usual carry ammo, that would just have to work, but the rest of the time it's factory JHPs. Besides, if you have time to handload, you need to spend that time tinkering with cast bullets, JHPs are just too darn boring!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi All and a merry Christmas
I just had to jump into this thread, I've been carrying an SP-101 (one of the very old ones) in DA/SA and chambered for 38 special only. It makes a wonderful light packing gun for SE Kansas (Hey Old Jim) loaded with Speer shotshells it works wonders on the local copperheads during bow season. The same approach here in Idaho during the summer on the rattlers. The gun can be loaded with 38+P+ loads for self defense. Mine came to me with Hogue finger groove grips which not only fit my hand (large) but also my wifes thus making it a very nice nightstand gun at home.
I don't miss the heaver load of the 357 except for making the gun even more versatile. Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
106 Posts
Although I do load .357 practice ammo for my sp101, that is all I use it for - Practice, mainly because it is much cheaper.

When I carry it is with Federal 110gr JHP - which I found I can shoot through it pretty accurately.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I'm quite fond of the Golden Saber and the now discontinued M11 "Medium Velocity" 125-grain load, both from Remington. In small frame snubbies I think they give a super balance between maximum power, controllability, expansion, and soft tissue penetration.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts