Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am looking for the amount of RL22 or IMR7828 I need to launch the 225gr Barnes TSX at 3000 ft/sec out of a 26 inch barrel. I have found loads for 3180, 3250, and 3140 ft/sec but I need exactly (or close to) 3000 so that the ballistics can match the reticle on my scope. If anyone has this info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I've got to say, I'm a bit puzzled by this particular request. If you have a load recipe for those two powders that gives you too much velocity, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you try using a lower charge weight?

If you have a chronograph (this whole exercise is pointless, if you don't) then you could simply reduce the powder charge in half-grain increments until you get the velocity you want. Then again, if your best ACCURACY is at 3100, instead of 3000fps, I think you'd be way better off to just go with that and sight in for a maximum PBR.

I'm guessing you've got one of those BDC reticles and you're trying to match your velocity to what the "book" says. Personally, I'm not too shy to say that those scopes are way more bother than they're worth. In fact, they're worse than worthless, imho. With a muzzle-velocity of 3100fps and that 225gr TSX, you could sight in 3" high at 100 and not give one thought to trajectory all the way out to 325. If you really plan on shooting farther than that, you've got a lot more to worry about than slowing your bullets down to match the little circles in your scope.

Get a duplex reticle with a fine wire in the middle, sight your gun in 3" high at 100 and go hunt. From the muzzle to wayyyy out there, you'll hit what you're aiming at.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, I am trying to reduce my velocity as I am more interested in precision than power as I only take shots I am 100% confident in so the power factor is not as much of an issue. I do have a chronograph but was hoping I could spare myself the trouble of dinking around with the loads and making multiple trips to the range if some of the fantastic people on this forum already had the information. As far as the reticle goes, yes, it is a ballistic plex (at least thats what Burris calls it) and when used in conjunction with the laser rangefinder (built into the scope) allows for very quick, very precise long range shots. I used it last fall with 250gr Hot-cor form loads to take two elk, one at 430 yards and one at 540. I believe that new technology used with a little common sense allows me to make much longer range ethical shots as was the purpose of building this gun. I respect your opinion and thank you for your input. I didn't know before what increments to reduce the loads by but now I do. Thanks again

P.S. If anyone does have the load info I'm looking for I would still greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
SlickWilly,

I have tried running the numbers through QuickLoad and I can't find any combination of 225gr bullet, and those two powders, that will generate 3000fps. Even with 105% compressed loads, they are just too slow burning to get bullets moving that fast. What are the load recipes you found that will drive a 225 Barnes TSX to 3180, 3250, and 3140fps?

From what I'm seeing, you'll need to use a faster powder, like H4350, RL15 or WW760, but even those are "only" going to get you about 3100fps, and no better, with safe loads. The best guess from QL is ~90gr of WW760. (Remember to consult a reloading manual and use safe reloading practices when deciding on what charge weight to use in your cartridges.)

With all of that being said, you've taken elk at 430 and 540 yards, so I'm guessing you know a great deal more about long-range ballistics and shooting than most of us on this forum. To hit exactly where you are aiming, at 540 yards, your bullet would need to be roughly 22 inches above line of sight, at 300 yards. In a 10mph cross-wind, your bullet would have deflected nearly 25 inches from line of bore. That is some fine shooting and way more than this peckerwood is willing to attempt, even with a laser widgit and count-the-clicks scope.

(OK, so maybe I'm old-school and not being PC, but if you can make 500+ yard shots, you don't really need to ask us questions...you need to give lessons! Also, with a 26" or longer barrel, velocity starts to get up into the range you're looking for.) :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I really suck at detecting sarcasm especially in long distance communication, so I am going to just assume you mean well:D. I know my fare share of gun related subjects but I am also a young punk and have found people who have been around a lot longer than I have give much more valuable information than any book or other material can (this forum excluded of course).
The loads I found on reloadersnest.com were
RL22:
93.5=3180
94.5=3250
IMR7828:
94=3140
Perhaps this is not accurate, as I do not believe the site has any way of regulating what people post. I am starting to think that some good honest range work is the only way I can get what I am after.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I really suck at detecting sarcasm especially in long distance communication, so I am going to just assume you mean well:D. I know my fare share of gun related subjects but I am also a young punk and have found people who have been around a lot longer than I have give much more valuable information than any book or other material can (this forum excluded of course).
RL22:
93.5=3180
94.5=3250
IMR7828:
94=3140
Perhaps this is not accurate, as I do not believe the site has any way of regulating what people post. I am starting to think that some good honest range work is the only way I can get what I am after.
QuickLoad shows 94gr RL22 as a 105% charge generating 3055fps and 94gr of 7828 as a 110% charge generating 3050fps, both with a 28" barrel. Both fall ~10,000psi short of the maximum working pressure of the cartridge and are honestly too slow for the case capacity of the round. I'm not a fan of heavily compressed loads and in this particular case, I can't really see the logic in doing so when a slightly faster powder will give better pressure and velocity with a 100% charge.

Let us know what the range results show you, when you get a chance to load up some rounds and test them.

Jason

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,712 Posts
RL22:
93.5=3180
94.5=3250
IMR7828:
94=3140
It might be accurate and it might not. Do verify the loads you find on the internet with published data, as much as you can. If you don't own a chronograph then you won't know what they do in your gun, anyway.

Long range shooting can be quite a challenge but it that's what you want to learn, have fun. Do plan on spending a bit of time at the range testing loads.

Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the 11th Edition of Cartridges of the World it states that 93gr of IMR7828 will propel a 225gr Sierra SBT at 3003 ft/sec and the same charge of RL22 will propel the same bullet at 3041. I will start a few grains below this and see what I come up with. I am hoping to make it to the range this weekend sometime but you never know. I will post my findings as soon as they are available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts