Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a gunshop today and saw three very dusty boxes of Speer 105gr. 6mm component bullets on the shelf. Two boxes were round nose and the third was a flat-based spitzer.

Any experience with these in the field? I have found with the 6mm Rem most bullets will go through a deer, but usually not through a pig. Pigs are hard to find without any blood trail, at least if you want to find them soon. Quite often we do find them 6 or 8 months later but most of the good stuff is gone by then... :D ... but I digress.....

The bullets were a little under $20 / box so I figured I might go back and see if he'll let me have all three for $50 or something.

Thoughts?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Must really be old, Mike.

Had to go back to my Speer Manual #11, printed in 1988, to find the 105 gr RN's and SP's. The RN's have a B.C. of .207, while the SP's have .443.

If you don't have loading data for the 6mm Rem., PM me for details.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Back in the 70's I had an Uncle who used nothing but. He loved 'em. But, then again, he knew how to track a wounded animal because the bullets never exited and there was virtually no blood trail. I swear, that man could track a fish through water. But he really did like 'em.

·
38,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh.... they wouldn't go through a deer? Must be really soft.....

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I'll vote that they will shoot acurate. Performance on a pig is a question I can't answer.

I have believed/observed that Speer and Sieara tended to reliy on thier bullet jackets back in that time frame (what bullet metal the core was made from was of secondary importance).

Speer made better constructed hunting bullets. Sierra made better target bullets.

I'd offer something less than $50 for the lot and see what happens?

Cheezywan

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
Looks like you might get 2900-3000 fps from various powders with that bullet weight in the 243. I can only compare to my 25-06, in the same general velocity range with 120's, when I shot a deer in the 100-yd range - several times - with std cup & core Speer spitzers. I was not happy with how those bullets performed; they really came apart. I don't think they'd do well on pigs.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
My father and Uncle have killed well over 60 deer with those bullets in their 243s. I've hoarded a few boxes for future needs and would be willing to buy those 105 gr RN from you if you pick them up Mike. they kill NY whitetails very well and shoot into little sub MOA groups.

·
38,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't bought them yet, sorry. This weekend is the rifle opener and if I see a pig I am going to try some 100gr. Hornady Interlocks that I have loaded up for the 6mm. If those will go through a pig then probably don't need the Speers as I have almost 200 of the Hornady bullets (minus 5 I sent downrange already testing the load). Wife doesn't shoot all that many critters in a year and ~200 of them would last for a while!

The Speers will surely sit on that dealer's shelf a bit longer.... I can put you in contact with the owner if you'd like to just purchase them outright? If you know they will work for you then grab them first if you really want them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I still have some of those old Speer 105grs myself.

I killed two White Tail and Mule deer with the spitzer back in the 1960s with them in my 243. Never had a problem with non performance.
One White Tail and the Mule deer were both pass throughs (entry & exit) on the rib cage. One White Tail went through the shoulder blade and tore the **** out of the lungs and did not exist.

I used to load the 105gr RN in my 6mm Lee Navy and also took one White Tail with it. Again no problem, and that was at substantially less velocity.

Barstool(er)

·
Banned
763 Posts
I would put more faith in a Nosler Partition than one of those bullets to shoot through a pig.

They are available in 85, 95, and 100 grains.

I used to use the 85 grainers when I was younger and deer hunted with my 10lb 6mm PPC Ruger M77 target rifle. :D

·
Registered
13,141 Posts

·
38,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine's a Rem so probably OK. I should check it though and already thought about it.

Yeah, what's the cost difference? Not much in the scheme of things but we shoot a lot of pigs and other varmits and these were cheap. Hate to head to the woods and burn up $4-$5 of Partitions on a bunch of raccoons (happens!).

Plus sometimes it's just the experimental side of me.....

·
38,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dang it, we haven't been able to kill a darn thing. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything since October, but have gotten a few deer with arrows in a spot that we only bowhunt. Acorn crop has been phenomenal and it's kinda rare to even see a deer, much less a pig.

Not sure when the opportunity will come up... thanks for asking. I will for sure autopsy anything we can get with them and report back, as I'd hate to throw away 200 bullets.

·
Inactive
654 Posts
Well, you can always send them East, my boy will give them a whirl!!! Just kidding, hope you get into pigs soon. Looking forward to hearing about how they work. Scotty

·
38,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am too. Nothing so interesting as a good bullet performance report! Will get pictures.....

·
38,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
If you use whatever bullet in its right application, it would be hard to find a bad bullet. So my answer is yes, its a good bullet.
Well I can't agree with that when it comes to hunting big game. I have had a few bullets (advertised as for big game) come apart on a deer shoulder, in several bore sizes. Our deer aren't very large and those bullets (in my opinion) would not have made it through a hog on a broadside shot behind the shoulder.

Bullets that don't go through hogs may kill them, but good luck finding it.

I guess you are correct that those too-fragile bullets may be OK for varmits. Trouble is knowing that ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.