Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like these Speer Gold Dot .45 flying ashtray bullets in the .45LC. D'you think they'd hold out under .454C speeds / pressures?

·
Banned
130 Posts
I WOULD KEEP THE SPEER BULLET UNDER 40.000 CUP IN THE 454. THE GD IS A GOOD BULLET BUT NOT INTENDED FOR ITS BASE TO GET HIT WITH 50,000 + PSI. WHEN I WANT TO RUN FULL THROTTLE JACKETED LOADS I ONLY USE THE FA 260 OR FA 300 JFP. THE XTP IS NOT A BAD BULLET EITHER ALTHOUGH IT WILL CHURN UP A LITTLE MORE PRESSURE THAN THE FA DESIGN, SHOOTING SOFT JACKETED BULLETS FROM THE 454 WITH TOP LOADS WILL RUIN A FORCING CONE (SPLIT) IN AS LITTLE AS 50 ROUNDS. I DONE SOME TESTING LAST YEAR WITH MY 454 AND SEVERAL JACKETED BULLETS AND NONE OF THE OTHERS COMPARED TO THE FA DESIGN IN PENETRATION. THEY ACT VERY MUCH LIKE THE LBT LFN HARDCAST. VERY LITTLE EXPANSION. THE NOSLER PTG 260 DID NOT HOLD UP WELL AT ALL. AND SO ON. ANYWAY THE ONLY WAY TO SHOOT THE SOFT JACKETED BULLETS IN THE 454 IS TO SHOOT THEM IN CLOSED BREECH FIREARMS (TC ENCORE) THEN SOME OF THE THIN JACKETS STILL WONT LIKE THE SHOVE INTO THE RIFLING AND MAY SHED THE JACKET. IN THE REVOLVERS ITS WHEN THEY JUMP THE B&C GAP THAT DESTROYS THEM DO TO ENOURMOUS OBTURATION OF THE BASE THEN GETTING SIZED AGAIN AS IT ENTERS THE RIFLING. HOPE THIS HELPS.        JIM.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm, a split forcing cone is not something I'm going to risk. I'll stick to FA JFP.
I only asked because I noticed that the teeth at the end of the Gold Dot's jacket are folded back into the hp's cavity, so I thought that might help prevent shedded jackets.

Thanks for the warning; I never realized the cone might be at risk with soft core jacketed bullets. This is because the hp might begin to expand upon jumping the cylinder gap, correct?

·
Banned
130 Posts
deebee, actually rather than the hollow point expanding its rather the hole bullet deforming in the forcing cone. similar to a pure lead lead will obturate much easier than say a lead bullet of 12-14 bhn. even with hardcast i prefer a 18-21 bhn for full house loads. to put it short its as much of the core as the jacket that is to soft. if your wanting a light weight jacketed bullet to push hard go with the 240gr hornady xtp mag. its designed to handle the top loads.         JIM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts