Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our assignment. The "Kernel" had sent us on a suicide mission into heavily patrolled enemy territory and it was made clear to us "Get the *&^%$#@@$ job done or don't come back" :eek: "And look out for friendlies, you know, the white fuzzy ones. They look like sheep!!!"

We'd have to be our sneakiest ever. Hardly any cover on the sagebrush hillside overlooking a newly planted alfalfa field and we had to get close enough to make clean and efficient kills without giving up our positions.

We trekked the unforgiving .05 clicks from our LZ to the assigned shooting position. Luckily our insertion had been muffled by the fierce winds that were gusting to 20 mph at times. The wind would also make our targets that much harder to hit. Every gust and change in wind direction could make or break the outcome of this highly classified and strategic mission. The worst part of this whole operation, I was stuck with a rookie. This would be his first operation as a SPLAT Sniper. He'd just graduated from 22's and had been assigned a man's rifle worthy of any sniper. (my 700SPS.223 :biggthumpup: )

Our concealment completed, we set up our weapons and laid out ammo for quick reloading.

"HSST!" I heard in a paniced wisper, "We got movement, 10 o'clock, 200 meters!"

Sure enough an enemy patrol. Barely visible in the ankle high grass. :rolleyes: Three of them, headed our way. I signaled Zach "Take the left one and I'll get the other two, fire when ready" I hoped the training I'd been pounding into him since he was 12 would pay off. :anxious:

A split second after his shot my rifle cracked and as fast as I could work the bolt I let go another round. I hear the satisfying THWACK!!!! of three good shots. PHEW!! That was close, bet they'd think again before sending out another patrol in after us.

I quickly reloaded and collected my empties."Leave no trace", that was another part of our orders.

UH OH!!! A whole platoon headed our way!!! "Keep yer cool kid" I told Zach, "wait til they stop". "Don't ever empty yer rifle!!" I warned, "only shoot 2 or 3 rounds then reload." Our foe knew they were safe to move during the higher wind gusts, as it was almost impossible to make a kill shot much past 250 meters in that high wind. I just hoped the new load I'd worked up for my 788 would prove effective. I hadn't even had a chance to put it on paper yet, let alone see what the drop was out to 300+ meters!! Luckily, POI turned out to be the same for the 40 grain Nosler Ballistic tips as is was for the 40 grain Vmax's.

Over the next four hours we managed to keep the furry little ground dwellers from getting too close. The kid was proving himself admirably. His father would have been proud. Semper Fi Mike.

"Hey Zach, you thirsty?"

"Yeah, I could use some more Cheetos too."

"OK, I gotta let my gun cool for a bit. Let's go get some more iced tea."

Here's what our "heavily fortified position" looked like. :biggthumpup:

Yeah, we had a great day shooting ground squirrels. I love a good "stand" We didn't have to move during the whole outing. Even with the wind and the fact that these were "Harvard" squirrels, we did very well.

RJ

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
Sounds like a fine day RJ! Seems you've 'adopted' Zack.

We had a 'charger' - a big fat waddling rockchuck - assault our position last weekend. We made him a little bit lighter.:D

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Shawn, it would appear I've got a "third son" :D For what Zach has gone through since his father passed away almost three years ago now, he's turning into quite a kid. We don't spend as much time together as we would like, but we make up for it when we get together.

Bein's as how his dad Mike was such a close friend it makes it that much more special that Zach has "adopted" me as well.

Semper Fi Mike. You'll be glad to know Zach is a son you can always be proud of.

With any luck, Zach and I will soon be called upon to "defend" Moffat County when time allows. June 15th is right around the corner!! (Colorado's pdog opener)

I just noticed how Zach has his trigger finger positioned. He didn't learn that from me, he got that and many more safe gun habits from his USMC Fire Arms Instructor father.

RJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.