Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I finally got my hands on the Arisaka 7.7mm bolt action, built mid-war, that my father brought back as spoils of war from WWII. He was a Navy Sea-Bee in the Philippines at the time. So watch the John Wayne movie Fighting Sea-Bee's to see what dad said was real close to what they did. Anyway, It got partly burned in a house fore in an upstairs bedroom back when we were kids. Nevermind why. So as time went by & I grew up, I got a job at Ford in Cleveland like my father before me. We even worked together sometimes.
It was at this time that we decided to take it to the home of a pattern maker we knew in the foundry that was also a gunsmith as a hobby sort of job. He had lathes and all in his garage. And Grassie's bar on the corner of his street in North Ridgeville, OH. Just wow. He did beautiful work. He sold dad a walnut Monte Carlo stock for it for $25, heated the bolt and bent it, re-machined the barrel ( I wouldn't have personally) And rechambered it to 7.57. This was in the late 70's. I keep thinking I heard them say 7.57 Remington Super Express? But there is only a Remington 7mm Magnum. Or the 7.57 Mauser cartridges? I'm positive about the 7.57 part, so it must be the Mauser cartridge Remington and several others still make. The scope is a Bushnell 3-9x40(?) range finder. Here then, are the pictures. I haven't even cleaned it up yet from the Estate lawyers handler/auctioneer guy that brought it and another very cool antique to my home.

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
Sentimental guns are the best kind!
That is not the original barrel so if it's not marked, it'll have to be chamber cast to ID it. Its' no longer the original 7.7mm barrel. It could be anything.
The stock was made by Sile. I think they're still in business. The front ramp is a Williams Streamline.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice-looking rifle. I tried to lowball a sporterized Arisaka in a recent auction, but I got outbid.
If it is 7x57, you won’t be disappointed. That’s one of my favorite rounds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I sporterized a 7.7 Jap around 35 years ago. I have killed many deer with the 7.7 round. Even with the original barrel and the amount of wear on the rifling, I ave killed deer at distances of 150 + yards. Do a chamber casting and load your rounds to about 30 thousandth of an inch. I toped mine off 3x9 Leupold. I have lent it out to several friends in years past to hunt with and many of them wanted to buy it from me.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Nicely done rifle. Can't get used to that ugly bolt Arisakas came with.

Please don't try shooting it until you can positively identify what cartridge its chambered for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too have an Arisaka, Don't remember when I got it and didn't know then what it was. Had some minor feeding issues and took it to a local gunsmith. He reconfigured the feed ramp and told me that it had a Douglas Supreme bbl. (it is in .243 cal.). It has never jammed since and has accounted for around 30 deer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sentimental guns are the best kind!
That is not the original barrel so if it's not marked, it'll have to be chamber cast to ID it. Its' no longer the original 7.7mm barrel. It could be anything.
The stock was made by Sile. I think they're still in business. The front ramp is a Williams Streamline.
It is the original barrel rechambered to 7.57 as I remember. I was with my father every time he went there after work. We both read the article in Sports Afield by shooting editor John Jobson who wrote about it in the 60's. It was machined down by the gunsmith/pattern maker buddy of ours. We all worked in Ford's Cleveland Casting Plant together. He also heated the bolt to bend it and reshaped the bolt handle. And thank you for the info on the stock and front sight! I love this already! I got it from my brother's estate, which is being sold for his going into a nursing home. Cost me $250...but the 19-teens Victrola only cost me $100? And it's the stand up cabinet style one from about 1915 my grandma bought as a teen...go figure?

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
Sorry, that is NOT an Arisaka barrel. The contour is of an American sporter made popular by Douglas and others. I don't see the very distinctive 'collar' at the butt of the barrel and the chamber section is too large to be original.
A chamber cast is the very best bet. Its' best not to guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, that is NOT an Arisaka barrel. The contour is of an American sporter made popular by Douglas and others. I don't see the very distinctive 'collar' at the butt of the barrel and the chamber section is too large to be original.
A chamber cast is the very best bet. Its' best not to guess.
Well, I remember the man talkin' about all the things he did when he machined it down, changing things as he did so and all. i don't remember the details? That said, dad did want the 1 in 11 twist Jobson wrote about in his article. And no, I wasn't going to guess. I know for sure it is 7.57. I remember that clearly. But, some things may've escaped me since the late 70's? I remember it as a Arisaka model 99 from mid-war and it got damaged a bit in a fire in an upstairs bedroom when I was an older kid. Thus the custom job after Jobson's article came out in Sports Afield. I already planned to take it to a gunsmith to have the caliber it's chambered for checked. Only logical to do that.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,416 Posts
Ok well Arisakas are NOT chambered with 7mm barrels.... either 6.5 or 7.63 (ish, a tad over nominal .30 cal in the U.S.).

So, if it is chambered in 7x57... it CANNOT be an original Arisaka barrel. Rechambered or not.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Arisakas are extremely strong actions. Not the prettiest or smoothest but, built like a tank. I knew a guy that had one sportered and it was a .243. There's a story or "urban legend" about a guy that bought one that had been "rechambered" to .30-06. It had only had the chamber reamed out and not rebarreled. The guy even shot it like that!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok well Arisakas are NOT chambered with 7mm barrels.... either 6.5 or 7.63 (ish, a tad over nominal .30 cal in the U.S.).

So, if it is chambered in 7x57... it CANNOT be an original Arisaka barrel. Rechambered or not.
AND 7.7mm mid-war. I read about that quite some time ago. Maybe WIKI? Idk if I saved it or not. Could very well be an aftermarket barrel? So don't stir the pot so much. Nobody remembers every minute detail over the course of 64 years plus! Anyway, I finally found a gunsmith that knows how to do what needs be done to find what caliber it is chambered for. Too bad he's at least 25M away south of me. But that'll just have to do. I'll report my findings when they are discovered. I can't wait! My older brother did tell me once that it had a sound all it's own. Too bad he didn't save any cartridges!...

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
"a sound all its own" is not a good sign at all. I'm more curious now than ever. 25 miles a big deal? I have to drive that to get groceries and fuel for my truck!

Reactions: Darkker

·
The Shadow
7,659 Posts
Indeed

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,416 Posts
AND 7.7mm mid-war. I read about that quite some time ago. Maybe WIKI? Idk if I saved it or not. Could very well be an aftermarket barrel? So don't stir the pot so much. Nobody remembers every minute detail over the course of 64 years plus! Anyway, I finally found a gunsmith that knows how to do what needs be done to find what caliber it is chambered for. Too bad he's at least 25M away south of me. But that'll just have to do. I'll report my findings when they are discovered. I can't wait! My older brother did tell me once that it had a sound all it's own. Too bad he didn't save any cartridges!...
You do know that 7.7 mm is just a tad over nominal .30 cal bores in the U.S., right? Generally .310"-.311".......

7.7mm / 25.4 mm per inch, is 0.303" .... which would be the bore diameter, NOT the groove diameter. Add 0.008" or so for groove diameter. E.g. somewhere in the range of .310-.312" or thereabouts, same as the usual ".303 British" which the English also like to mark by bore diameter.

"7mm" is the same, BORE diameter is 0.275", add 0.008" or 0.009" to get GROOVE diameter. Generally .284" - .285" or so.

7 doesn't equal 7.7, anyway.

:confused:

Likewise, 7.62 NATO is 7.62 / 25.4, exactly .300", which is the bore diameter on the usual U.S. .30 cal cartridges (add 0.008" for groove diameter for .308 Win, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, and so forth.

Somebody might have run a .30-06 reamer in the Arisaka, or some wildcat .30x57mm, or who knows what. But if they tried to use a 7x57 reamer, in a 7.7 bore barrel, it would rattle around like rocks in a coffee can going down a flight of stairs. Probably not the best way to cut a chamber ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts