Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The June, 2002 issue of Sports Afield, will be the last, as reported by North American Hunter. Lagging sales and a poor economy were reasons given for the shut-down. Sports Afield was bought by Petersen's Publishing, a couple of years ago to try and regain its faithfull roots of hunters and fisherman, after the previous owner tried to reach a new market with mountain bikers, snow boarding, and and other yuppie sports. I was glad when Petersen's bought the company, but am deeply saddened, as they close the door, after more than a century of writing about the great outdoors. Further proof that our numbers continue to shrink, with each passing year.

Jeff

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Sports Afield was the only outdoors magazine available in our small town when I was a pup in the late '50s.  So Pete Brown was my gunwriter-mentor instead of Jack O'Connor or Warren Page.  Later I went with Guns&Ammo.  P.O. Ackley, Bob Hutton, Jeff Cooper & Elmer Keith!  Could any gun rag round up a stable like that now?

I've picked up a few issues of Sports Afield lately, but there wasn't enough content to hold my interest.  The old order passes and these forums are speeding it on it's way.

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
You got that right Jack.

I too had picked up a Sports Afield once after the yuppification. Went into the garbage bag after about 10 minutes perusal. Looks like it was too late for Petersons to turn it around.

We had a decent New York State Magazine called NY Sportsman that Peterson had taken over a couple years back. That publication just went belly up a few months ago too. New York Game and Fish magazine has taken them over, at least their current subscriptions were purchased by them. Only new wrinkle is that they have a nice website also which kind of exists in concert with it as a resource with good information and writing.

I think the net is where the action is now and is much more timely information.

Heck, just a year or so ago I was able to correspond through e-mail with Lee Jurras. Interesting to "talk" with a guy I've read about since I was a little punk.

Can't match that in a magazine off the rack.

Regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts