Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some professional advice which rifle is a better built and better quality firearm the Springfield M1A or the DSA SA58.FAL . There are probably better rifles by other manufacturures in both styles of rifles but I live in Communist California and both of these manufacturures make California approved rifles. can anyone help me The stores here do not have anyone left that knows anything about guns anymore they just sell them.

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
I don't have any experience with the DSA, so I can't comment on that.

One of the few guys to drop out of the Gunsite 270 class I took was a fellow who had a full-size tricked out FN FAL. To be fair, he was one of those normal weight but very soft looking fellows who was so out of shape he strained to lift the thing into offhand position and appeared to bend backward at about 30 degrees to counterbalance it. I think he had bought the thing figuring the gun would somehow make up for his physical limitations, but found the extra three pounds or so over a scout weight bolt gun actually handicapped him? But, in his defense, I have to say that for a lot of the basic manipulation exercises we had, his gun just looked awkward. Shooting from under barriers simulating automobiles, for example, or quick presentation from sling carry to an offhand snap shot.

I carried my M1A through that class, which mostly had bolt gun users, and had no problems. I won the shoot-off with it at the end of the class, and the runner up also used an M1A, though his had the synthetic stock (which I would recommend for consistent bedding pressure if you're not going to use it in service rifle matches).

On the other hand, the M1A has seen so much use, its limitations are well-known. Like the Garand, it tends to oil the inside of its stock if you make the mistake of overdoing lubrication. Then you need to disassemble and wipe the bedding out periodically, after which you need some sighters to settle it again. You need to tighten up the standard rear sight base fit to hug the rack for best precision, which Brownells sells a tool for. I make my own heavy duty 1/2 MOA match hooded rear sites for my M1A and Garand rifles because the commercial ones can spontaneously disassemble at inconvenient moments.

Match shooters who use M1A's or Garands all carry spare bolt parts in a baggy in their range carts: extractor and extractor detent spring and plunger, ejector and ejector spring, firing pin, and a combo tool for bolt disassembly and assembly. This is because the bolts have also been known to self-disassemble, though it isn't too regular an event. I had the commercial match sight hood disassembly experience, which is how I came to design my own variant of it, but my bolts have all kept their acts together.

Having been used for a long time, the M1A has lots of parts and accessories available.

The point of all this rambling is that the feel and practical utility of the thing are important. Something better-made that isn't user friendly just won't see as much use as something that feels right, but needs periodic attention.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Funshooter,

What are you planning on doing with this rifle?
For target purposes, the M1A edges the DSA SA58, but not by much.
For cost of shooting, the DSA wins on mags alone. You want good factory mags, it can run $35-$50 per mag for the M1A depending on how lucky you get. You can get good factory mags for a metric FAL for $12-$15 a piece including Steyr mags. Inch mags will be more but not $35-$50

I was looking at the same two for a 7.62x51 MBR type rifle and eventually chose the FAL. The ergonomics fit me better. It breaks down easier for maintenance and you can feed it darn near anything because you can dial up or down your gas adjustment knob to make it function properly with your ammo.

I would still like an M1A, but Im happy with my FAL so that if I do buy another semi auto battle rifle, it will be an M1 Garand.

FAL, Right Arm of the Free World

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have some M1A's they are my favorite rifles but I alway have wanted a Fal. Living in COMMUNIST California puts a huge dampper on what types of rifles you can buy and own. The only legal FAL is the Cal. Approved DSA 58/ but I do not want to spend $1800 or so on a piece of you know what. Also the economy here SUCK to put it mildly. another reason I want the be cautious. But if peaple in COMMUNIST California wait to long the chances of politcians banning them is always going to be there And if I am going to own a FAL I do not know how long I have before it my be to late.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Don't have recent experience with the Springfield M1A. Shot a few early ones and they worked. Did have a Springfield Armory SAR-48 Bush rifle (18" fixed stock, FAL) that I used to hunt with and it took my longest shot on a whitetail at 300m during the last 10mins of the legal day (one round). DSA is producing in my opition the best FAL for shooters today. A friend of mine who did several tours down range as a sniper just purchased a DSA FAL and he carried both a M14 and FAL as his working rifle even though he had numberous bolt guns. I've also carried both down range and prefer the FAL for a all around rifle (out to 600yds irons) but if shooting out to 1000yds with irons then the M14 gets the nod.

CD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts