Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a Santa Fe 1903A3 complete receiver with bolt, trigger guard and floor plate. A friend has offered me a 1903 barrel which appears to have never been mounted on a receiver. They screw together nicely all but the last 1/8 of a turn. The bolt will not close so I am assuming that the barrel is short chambered. I suppose if I can get a stock and the furniture with it, I can at least make a shooter out of it for some fun, although there would be no particular collector value. I thought since there is no particular collector value I might mount a scope on the Santa Fe for my old eyes to enjoy. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys..............

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I would suggest removing the extractor from the bolt, the front of the extractor protrudes forward and into a slot cut in the barrel. If the barrel is not indexed and the slot on the barrel is not aligned with the extractor groove on the right side of the receiver, the bolt will not close, unless the the extractor is removed. 1/8 turn of the barrel is = to .0125, the gap between the front of the receiver and seating surface at the end of the threads can be measured with a feeler gage, pulling the barrel up .0125 is a work out. If the face of the barrel is flat it is from a 303 P14, if the face of the barrel looks like a shaped charges (cone, con-caved) it was removed from an 03, look for a date on the top of the barrel behind the front sight.

There is a chance the parts are mixed, a 303 P14 bolt will not close because the bolt on the left side hits the face of the hits the barrel on an 03 barrel, the outside of the cone on the 03 sets further back than the P14 barre. this requires fitting as when going to if the 303 bolt is used in with an 03 barrel.

F. Guffey

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
It should work

The 1903 and 1903A3 were both .30-06 and the barrel may require a bit of fitting. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Short chamber and bolt closing, unless you were using a go-gage or cartridge of some type the bolt not closing was not related the chamber, It is possible to use a gage and or cartridge to determine case protrusion from the head of the case to the seating surface at the end of the threads then measure from the face of the front receiver ring back to the face of the bolt, the difference in the two measurements indicate head space, the go-gage is .005 longer than the full length size case from the head of the case to it's shoulder,

The barrel must be indexed before the bolt can be installed with the extractor, after the barrel is indexed, head space can then be checked.

F. Guffey

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got out the barrel vice and installed it tonight. It went fine and the bolt closes nicely. I have two other bolts so I can try them if the headspace is an issue. Thanks for you interest. Now all I need is a stock............. Catch

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The effect each bolt has on head space can be measured, the problem is finding a bolt that makes enough difference. There is not .002 difference in the 25+ bolts I have, most are new replacement 03A3s.

F. Guffey

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question to F. Guffy

I have a 1903A3 Fed Ord receiver mounted with a Remington barrel in like new condition. The shooting is accurate but the "bolting" action is very loose and sloppy. Any ideas to help with this problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts