Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm thinking about loading up my 45 for short range hog hunting (about 25 yards or so). Any recommendations on Beartooth hunting rounds? I'd like something with a wide meplat, of course, that would load and shoot well out of my Springfield 1911.

Thanks,

Shane

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI,
I've looked on the bullet offerings from BT, and all I see under 45 auto is the 200 grainer with a somewhat small (compared to others) meplat. Under 45 colt, there are a bunch of offerings. Since they are offered in the same range of diameters, I'd assume I could load some of the LC rounds into the auto. Am I jumping the gun?

Thanks guys,

Shane

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
Shane,

I too like 1911's, and a good wide-meplat bullet for game. I've been loading our .45-255gWFNPB bullet for years for my 1911's. I've shared the load with many people over the years, and the key factor is tailoring C.O.L. for positive chambering in each individual gun, taking into account the strong front driving band on the bullet and making sure that it clears the lands in the throat by adjusting seating depth accordingly.

Here's my load for the .45ACP in my 1911's, it's pleasant to shoot, shoots to point of aim on my fixed sight models and is very accurate.... not to mention devestating on game within the ranges at which a gun and load like this is intended to be used.

BTB .452"-255gWFNGC/7.0g AA#5/WLPP/Starline Brass/C.O.L. 1.13"/923 fps in 5" bbl.

Like mentioned earlier, this load MUST be tailored for the individual gun in regard to C.O.L. for reliable functioning. This load, as listed above is 100% for feeding and functioning in my guns.

This should give you a starting place in developing a wide-meplat load for your 1911.

God bless,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts