Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad got a springfield 1911 ultracompact and it keeps jamming on the secont to last shot
the way it jams is the rim spent cartridge gets stuck in the top of the magazine this only happens on the secong to last shot and an exsess of 1000rounds have been run thrue it he usally runs 230gr remington umc thrue it. does anyone know why this is happining and how to solve the problem?

thanks

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I really don't have any experience with that particular gun, but my first thought would be to try a different magazine. That would eliminate at least one cause if it functions with a new mag.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i have tryed doing that. but i just realized that the ejector sits below the breach. im just trying to see if anyone had simular problems befor i sart grinding

·
Registered
546 Posts
I know this may seem to simple, but my Springfield TRP has had it's only malfunctions when it was not properly oiled. It can help to make sure it is sloppy wet with oil.

Also you said that he runs mainly Remington UMC ammo, have you tried other types of ammo? When I'm not shooting reloads I like to use Winchester White Box, it always seems to work fine in my Springfield and a Glock 40.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he used winchesters white box in it befor and it tends to jam more with it i will tell him to use lots of oil and tell you how it works out

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lots of oil didn't work so i got him to send it back to springfield to have them repair it

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Good luck with your pistol. I have owned 2 subcompact 1911s, both Springfileds, and both started experiencing failures to feed after a hundred rounds or so. One was sent back to Springfield three times, the other was sent back once, and neither one ever achieved the reliability that would have made me comfortable carrying them.

This ecperience, plus experiences with a couple of other subcompact 1911s, has pretty well convinced me to stay away from that breed. There's a lot more to "micro-izing" a 1911 than just shortening it, and I am of the opinion that as soon as you go smaller than Commander-size you have reached an area where the pistol must be absolutely perfectly put together to work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well still havent gotten the gunback yet but called them and they sead they shipped it today so i will let you all know if it is really fixed when i get it.

thankyou,
steven

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the tip i will try +P loads when i get the gun back

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sorry about the problems, my Ultra Compact has not malfunctioned in the 5 years I have had it. Dry/lubed, reload/factory ammmo, upside down/sideways/rightways up, it always works. Doesn't seem to care what magazine I use either.

You can probably tell it is my favorite gun.

Don

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
A magazine spring exerts less and less force on the stack of cartridges as the magazine empties and the spring relaxes to full length. Could be your spring runs out of force before it runs out of ammo.

I had some feeding problems on an acp, and got out a round stone. Went over the chamber entrance and mag lips to polish off sharp corners. Mostly solved the problem. Just breaking the pistol in over a couple hundred rounds helped the rest of the way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got it back today and took it to the range to test it out. it worked FLAWLESS. it can finaly be used for carrying. it was getting about 2.7 inch groups at 15 yards so i am verry satisfied with it now. i would like to thank all of you for sharind your thoughts and support.

thankyou,
steven

1 - 15 of 15 Posts