Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the said pistol. Also what about the Ruger GP100? Any impute will be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
The GI is the actual military spec pistol from SA, whereas their "Mil-Spec" pistol has a few nice refinements. One of the best of which is the lowered ejection port that will slightly increase reliability and will also not put dents in your brass like the GI might if its ejector/extractor aren't tuned perfectly. It also has much better sights and the polished feed ramp with throated barrel and slightly beveled mag well.

I own a Mil-Spec and have been extremely happy with it. I carry a Kimber, however. I'm not a fan of the GI, but it is a M1911 and a good, serviceable .45, so it does what it has to do; I just think the Mil-Spec is well worth the little extra.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=6
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=7

As for the GP-100, there's no downside if you're willing to have the extra weight of the investment-cast frame, which extra beefiness makes it stronger anyway. If reliability is number one, you can't touch the revolver for guaranteed-bang factor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the compact model in the Mil-Spec set up and like it.

It's not only a good CCW peice , but its VERY accurate and I like to take it target shooting or plinking....

I have owned 1911s from Auto Ordnance, SA, Colt, Randall, Kimbere etc....

And my first choice in any 1911 is Springfield Armoury based on quality of manufacture.

Don't have much experinence with the GP-100, but the old Security Six it was based on was an excellent gun.
Personally I like the Security Six better because it was lighter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a difference in the Springfield G.I. and Mil-Spec pistols. The Mil-Spec is of a higher quality and a true 1911a1. I own a G.I. model, which is not a true 1911a1, but it looks like one. The one I have, an early model I got soon after they began selling them, is an import. On the frame's dust cover, is stamped "Brazil," which makes me wonder if isn't really made by Taurus and sold by Springfield. On one side of the slide is the Springfield logo, and the other side is stamped "Champion" which is another Springfield model. It shoots "ok" but is mostly a safe queen. I'm trying to decide if I want to trick it out with aftermarket parts, or leave it as is.

You can compare the differences at; http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?clicktype=1911

Here's mine.

·
Registered
639 Posts
All the Springfield Armory 1911s are made in Brazil and assembled in the states. The G.I. is closest to the military 1911A1. The Mil-Spec has some improvements including higher sights, lowered ejection port, and bevelled magazine well that are not found on the military 1911A1.

I bought my Mil-Spec about ten years ago. It’s a good solid pistol but it did require a little work. The slide stop was oversized and had to be stoned back so that it didn’t hit the bullet noses. The firing pin stop was loose and caused the extractor to clock. I had to fit an oversized firing pin stop. The Parkerizing was very thin on the frame and began to wear almost immediately.

·
Registered
170 Posts
All the Springfield Armory 1911s are made in Brazil and assembled in the states. The G.I. is closest to the military 1911A1. The Mil-Spec has some improvements including higher sights, lowered ejection port, and bevelled magazine well that are not found on the military 1911A1.

I bought my Mil-Spec about ten years ago. It’s a good solid pistol but it did require a little work. The slide stop was oversized and had to be stoned back so that it didn’t hit the bullet noses. The firing pin stop was loose and caused the extractor to clock. I had to fit an oversized firing pin stop. The Parkerizing was very thin on the frame and began to wear almost immediately.
I had the G.I. in the champion model in the mid nineties. They reamed the chamber with worn tooling. I found this out because I was loading up some ammo for a match and used the barrel to check the rounds with. To my surprise, the case head was sticking out past the barrel hood. Thought something was wrong with my reloads, so I tried some factory ammo and got the same results. My colt 1991a1 swallowed factory and reload alike. So I took it to my gunsmith and he reamed it and apoligized for not catching it when I had some bells and whistles put on. Said it was a pretty common thing. I'm glad I didn't have a case head rupture because it wasn't fully supported by the chamber. I like the XDM and been salivating over it, but will probably never own one because it's got springfield stamped on it. Funny how one bad experience leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had the G.I. in the champion model in the mid nineties. They reamed the chamber with worn tooling. I found this out because I was loading up some ammo for a match and used the barrel to check the rounds with. To my surprise, the case head was sticking out past the barrel hood. Thought something was wrong with my reloads, so I tried some factory ammo and got the same results. My colt 1991a1 swallowed factory and reload alike. So I took it to my gunsmith and he reamed it and apoligized for not catching it when I had some bells and whistles put on. Said it was a pretty common thing. I'm glad I didn't have a case head rupture because it wasn't fully supported by the chamber. I like the XDM and been salivating over it, but will probably never own one because it's got springfield stamped on it. Funny how one bad experience leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
It's a shame the way they (among other manufacturers) let quality control slip. I have a Springfield Defender model from 20 years back that is near perfection. Springfield customer service is good so I wouldn't be too concerned unless it came back from Springfield still having problems. Of course, that doesn't excuse poor QC in the first place.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Any 1911 with a ramped frame does not have a fully supported chamber, they are saved by the low operating pressure of the .45 ACP.

I had a GI Double stack SA. I was less than thrilled with it. I also have two GP100s. If you are choosing between the two, I would go with the GP 100 hands down. Now, if you want a nice 1911, SA makes some models that are just a few hundred dollars more and worth every penny in the upgrades. STI and Para Ordnance also make very nice 1911s, these both have ramped barrels with fully supported chambers. If you intend to compete with it, you'll want the ramped barrel.

I carry a 5" Para Ordnance 7-45 LDA Limited in a Galco Sto-N-Go IWB daily.

·
Registered
332 Posts
...I like the XDM and been salivating over it, but will probably never own one because it's got springfield stamped on it. Funny how one bad experience leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
At least you can rest easy knowing it is a Czech factory making the XD, the same way they've been making it since before SA bought it from them.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,254 Posts
I had one of he Springfield 1911A1s for a while but got rid of it. Need I say more. The only word I can think of to discribe it is "ROUGH".

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
John, I agree with that observation. I had hoped to use mine as a platform to build on. Clark Custom Guns does a lot of work with 1911s, and if you ask him, he'll tell you not to buy a Brazilian 1911 (Taurus and the cheaper SAs) I really like 1911s, I have a Dan Wesson (older one), two Para's, and a Charles Daly. My Para's have run like well oiled machines from day one, the DW took a little refinement and is a great gun, and for the money, the CD is the gun to buy. They are the same price as the GI, but have ambi safety, adjustable sights, commander hammer, beavertail grip safety, and are actually fitted pretty well. The magazines are junk, but 1911 mags are pretty easy to come by. All in all, I'd still buy a GP100 first. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts