Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I have owned my springfield mil spec 45 since 2004 and have about 600 rounds through it and never a failure , which is good but from day one the spent brass ejects mostly up and showers me with hot brass. a few do land to the right of me within a foot and i think it's after they go up. I did send the gun back to springfield a month after i bought it and they sent it back with a note that that is normal for a mi spec 1911. I know it is built with a 16 pound recoil spring and would like any thoughts of installing a 15 pound spring ? I hand load my own amo , Berry's 230 grain round nose and 4.5 grains bullseye ,oal is 1.265. it groups right at 4-5 inches at 15 yards. I have used store bought ammo and the spent brass still goes mostly up but they do wind up to my right but almost at my feet. not complaining how it shoots, would just like to get the hot brass a little more to the right.

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
You need to tighten the grip on the extractor or alter the angle of the ejector blade. I would have both parts on hand in case you mess up. :)
Lightening the recoil spring accelerates wear. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ejection angle is pretty much set by where the ejector sits on a 1911. If you can find a 1911 that throws cases further right, look at the two parts to see how they differ.

·
Registered
284 Posts
To get the ejector blade to push brass to the right move the point of contact up. You do this by honing the blade at an angle from the bottom. If you are careful and judicious you can grind it but be careful of over heating it. Always finish the work with a stone. If you remove too much of the blade and get soft ejection or failure to eject you will have to start with a new one or add material to the blade you have. (not recommended except for really good welders)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys ! My son has a loaded springfield and it puts them on a nice little pile just three feet to the right. would his be good to compare or should it be another mill spec pistol ? I'm not sure it will get as good as his and that don't matter, just getting them out of my collar would be nice.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Hello all!
I have owned my springfield mil spec 45 since 2004 and have about 600 rounds through it and never a failure , which is good but from day one the spent brass ejects mostly up and showers me with hot brass. a few do land to the right of me within a foot and i think it's after they go up. I did send the gun back to springfield a month after i bought it and they sent it back with a note that that is normal for a mi spec 1911. I know it is built with a 16 pound recoil spring and would like any thoughts of installing a 15 pound spring ? I hand load my own amo , Berry's 230 grain round nose and 4.5 grains bullseye ,oal is 1.265. it groups right at 4-5 inches at 15 yards. I have used store bought ammo and the spent brass still goes mostly up but they do wind up to my right but almost at my feet. not complaining how it shoots, would just like to get the hot brass a little more to the right.
17.5 lb recoil spring for that load, and you need to tune the extractor. Not hard at all and here's Wilson combat's view on this (link below). I just bought two Springfield's this past year and I tweeked the 45acp 5", my Range Officer Champion in 9mm is just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSmJd7HaDY

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys ! My son has a loaded springfield and it puts them on a nice little pile just three feet to the right. would his be good to compare or should it be another mill spec pistol ? I'm not sure it will get as good as his and that don't matter, just getting them out of my collar would be nice.
Not all 1911s are alike nor are they made the same. I shot IPSC for years with tuned series 70 Colts including a Hoag mastergrade. I've rarely if ever seen a 1911 "pile" the brass up for you. They're semi autos... if they eject fine and not on you, that's generally the way they work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I borrowed my sons loaded 1911 springfield today and did some comparison to my springfield mil spec 45 . They are the same but different. the extractor and the ejector looks like springfield spent a lot more time on the finish work compared to mine. I used some spent brass and worked it into the extractor and the brass went in so smooth and stayed put wile shacking the upper. My GI model was rough and scratchy so i used sone 2000 grit paper and buffed only the edges where his were smoothed . I also dressed up the ejector. I striped it , cleaned it and put two mags through it and no hot brass bouncing off my head. it all landed to my right in about a five foot area. Like i said in my first post ,where it lands don't matter to me. just not on me. anyway, i am very pleased . Forgot to mention that my mil spec 45 has the high port upper and it looks like springfield started lowering the ejection port on newer mil spec 45's ? Thanks to all that gave me suggestions on what to look for.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
I borrowed my sons loaded 1911 springfield today and did some comparison to my springfield mil spec 45 . They are the same but different. the extractor and the ejector looks like springfield spent a lot more time on the finish work compared to mine. I used some spent brass and worked it into the extractor and the brass went in so smooth and stayed put wile shacking the upper. My GI model was rough and scratchy so i used sone 2000 grit paper and buffed only the edges where his were smoothed . I also dressed up the ejector. I striped it , cleaned it and put two mags through it and no hot brass bouncing off my head. it all landed to my right in about a five foot area. Like i said in my first post ,where it lands don't matter to me. just not on me. anyway, i am very pleased . Forgot to mention that my mil spec 45 has the high port upper and it looks like springfield started lowering the ejection port on newer mil spec 45's ? Thanks to all that gave me suggestions on what to look for.
It's the ejector. I have a genuine 1911A!NM that I do shoot regularly with a high port. I never get hit on the head. My load is a tiny bit warmer (231 instead of Bullseye), it a step down from the old early IPSC load.

Also remember the deeper you seat the bullet, the warmer the load becomes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts