Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cleaning up and fixing my father's old Springfield 84c, he received for his 16th birthday in 1946. It has not been fired in a while and sitting up had a bit of gunk and rust on it. I have it cleaned and working well except that the ammo does not consistently feed. This rifle does not have a ramp, so it is reliant on the tilt of the bullet coming from the clip. I originally could not find the original clip so I ordered one from Numrich. It feeds about 90% of the time. The lower it gets in the magazine the bullets are not tilting upwards enough to feed into the chamber. I took the magazine apart, stretched the spring slightly and oiled it to make sure it had a smooth and tight movement. Still the same problem. I was finally able to find the original clip and it feeds better, but occasionally has the same issue.

Any suggestion on how to correct this problem? It seems it has to be a magazine issue, I see nothing I could adjust on the rifle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Resolution found

I went back and looked at the gun after I made this post and found the problem. I will post the resolution here instead of deleting my original in case someone else has the same problem.

There is a small tang on the back of the feeding chamber that seems to act as a stop for the magazine and also catches the rim of the bullet and tilts it into position. I had a screw partially stripped that holds the magazine feed chamber to the barrel and the tensioner that holds the magazine in place. The magazine was not staying UP in position against this tang and as I fed more bullets it was dropping slightly. I fixed that screw and it now holds the magazine into position and against that tang. Feeds every time.

I would post pics if I knew how.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts