Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shooting buddy has two pristine 30-06 rifles, a Springfield and an Enfield. Both are accurate considering they are battle rifles and got a few years on them. The Springfield is an 03A3 made by Remington in 1943, the Enfield was made by Eddystone in 1918. Both rifles look to be new.
My buddy has been shooting the surplus 150 something grain ammo in both rifles and it consistently shot low at 100 yards, with the sites set at their lowest setting, 200 yards.
I suggested that he find some of the 175 - 180 grain ammo, as that was the was the bullet weight at that time. He found some 175 grain Lake City Match. Both rifles shoot low with the Match Ammo, the Springfield shoots 10 inches low and the Enfield shoots 4 inches low, 100 yards. Both rifles cluster the bullets in a tight group, low and a little bit to the left. The windage we can deal with, but the elevation has us stumped.
We are both curious how the armory would correct this problem. I’m guessing that we could file the front site down a bit or find a new lower front site. He’s reluctant to do much remodeling as the rifles have matching serial numbers and are pristine.
He is about to set up and start reloading for these two rifles, and he’d like some suggestions. What would be a good bullet to use and what powders would be good for use in these two old veterans. I’m remembering that IMR 3031, IMR4064 and IMR 4895 were recommended for the 30-06.
Any help sure would be appreciated

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I had an 03a3 made by Smith Corona, 6 groove bbl. and the thing looked showroom new.  I'm stumped by your low shots, Silly question, but did you try a different hold.
 As far as reloaded ammo, I used Hodgden 4895 or 414 for the 30-06.  I've shot 168gr Nosler Match bullets from lake city brass.  These rounds worked equally as well in my garand.  Just go by Hodgden's specs, and start w/ a reduced charge.  ;0

·
Registered
256 Posts
The solution is to either file your front sight down a bit at a time until it shoots the elevation you want or to purchase a lower front sight.  The armorers probably had a bit of an assortment they could chose from until they got it right.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
m141a
He's shot it off the bench with a rest, with sand bags and just using the bench to support his elbows. I've done the same.
He's shot it off hand, at which he's a fair shot, the results have all been the same.
Shooting low.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Why not just elevate the rear site until point of impact and point of aim match and mark the site for position.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I'd Follow the snowman's advice B4 I'd file my sight.  Remember although both the guns you described are capable of great accuracy, they were designed as battle rifles{center mass}.  Try fiddling with the sights, if I remember correctly my '03 was not at the bottom rung of the sight ladder when I shot it.  100, 200, or 300.
 The problem w/ filing the sight is once the metal is gone, it's gone.:eek:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Not a problem. A problem is when you shoot high and the rear sight will go no lower, like the Mosin. Some light bullets may get your point of impact up a bit. Sounds like little groups and that is fun stuff. Just move the sight and fire away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts