Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much importance do you place on the size of this nib?
Today I cast a few balls and was surprised at the Sprue nib.
Store bought balls don't have one; Speer and Hornady.
What's your thinking about this?
Does it matter much?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well the cast ball are different then the store bought swagged ball. When you cast you pour into the mold and the spur is of course where you cut the lead off. The swagged are made under pressure and do not have a spur.

You will find that if you make the ball well in a cast mold, they work just fine. I shoot a lot of cast ball.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I don't care for molds that leave a large sprue and have a habit of milling them down to get rid of it - that's why I prefer Lee molds.

As for shooting, put the sprue up and centered, shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have shot nothing but cast balls for 30 years. I cast with Lee and Lyman molds. Like Mark said, just put the spur up and center and there is no problem. I have won several matches and taken a lot of game with them. When you consider all the money you save by casting, watching the spur location while loading is no big deal.

·
Banned
126 Posts
I use Lyman and RCBS moulds and have for years. The sprue has never been a problem with me. Keep the sprue centered and as you use your short starter, it will form the edges of the sprue down a bit. I used to, but not now (because of my eye sight) ever had an accuracy problem. A lot of old timers used a mould that did not even have a sprue cut-off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stopped at the store after posting this question.
I bought two Lee double cavity molds.
I'm jazzed. These are easy to work with and they drop very nice balls.
As an aside they even measure out to stated spec's.
Well worth the 19 bucks a set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts