Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of three weeks ago, I asked my wife to withdraw $500 so I'd have some money IF I saw the deal-to-end-all-deals at the gunshow. I didn;t see it and still have the cash. Waitingin my "Wish List", ready to "Place in Cart", are several different bullets, including some .358 Hornadys and some Winchester .35 Rem brass.

Now listen. I'm a pretty big guy. I don;t have any emotional scars. I don't shy around women or other men. I'm confident. I'm cool. I'm not a wimp. I can be humble and modest and chalk that up to confidence. Don;t we all feel that way?

But wait. My profession demands honesty. Integrity. So I should try some of it here. Actually, inside I'm a sentimental crybaby. I'm a wimp, if the truth be known. There's really nothing tough or cool about me. Sometimes I need help and advice from other fellows. From other men. That's a pretty wimpy admission, isn;t it?

I've got this $500 cash. Walmart says a Marlin 336C in .35 Remington is $445 without tax. It's Christmas time. I should be buying for others, not for me. Yes, yes, there are some nice, thoughtful (see? I'm a wimp) gifts for my family and a couple of chosen friends. I know I have a couple of nice gifts that I'll receive. I could end it there and not feel guilty.

You guys have experience here. Help me out. Should I squeeze the trigger by waiting until next year, after things have settled down? Or should I jerk it and just order the [email protected] rifle!??

Signed:
Just Another Tough Guy (wimp) In Need of Advice

·
Banned
296 Posts
We all know youve been hankering for a .35 Remington for some time now. $445 aint a bad price for a brand new gun. Yes you could spend the money elsewhere but ask your self this: If you dont buy the gun for you, who else would? Just think of it as a Christmas gift for yourself. Heck you could even wrap it and wait till Christmas morning to open it. Sneak down the stairs extra early just like in the good ol days

·
Banned
655 Posts
Get it now.

It may not be there later, and the way things are going, a gun in the cabinet is worth way more than two in the Walmart :)

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Buy the gun now for yourself for Christmas. You can kill a deer each year with it and donate it to the homeless shelter. You would only be able to donate the $500 once. Get the gift that will keep on giving. :)

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I have told my wife many times that we will never be truly wealthy, because if I have $500 in my pocket, you can pretty much bet I'm going to find something (like a new gun!) to spend it on. Now, I know how irresponsible that sounds, so before you start blasting me let me note that I put 10% into long-term investments for my retirement and the education of my children, I have little debt and those are paid on time, every time. Even though what is left after all of that ain't much, meeting those obligations means that I have no qualms whatsoever about buying another gun. In fact, the 358 GNR that I've been waiting on for so long finally arrived yesterday and I'm chomping at the bit to start working up loads for it!

So, you took out money to buy a gun, if you found a great deal at the gun show. Turns out you found that great deal at Wally World...so drop the coin and get that 35Remington! We can compare ballistics, since I'm told my newest toy should produce about the same velocity, at least in the lighter bullets.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
for goodness sakes ,,don t not, not buy them gifts but the amount spent on a gift .. shouldn t matter at all. heck find out if they would go togather with you to walmart an buy the gun for you..[don t send them after it..they ll buy the wrong gun..]if they do that ..you can afford to be generouse with thier gifts..
heck im getting a deer .processed half sausage an half hamberger..slim

·
Banned
604 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, absolutely. ABSOLUTELY make sure it's under the Christmas Tree. Stick it in a corner, out of the way. Wrap it up all girly-like and put a tag on it that says ... "From Santa. You deserve it". Then act genuinely surprised when you open it. Thank the wife. Act dumbfounded! That's real important. It'll get her to thinking "gee, maybe there IS a Santa Claus". Then, about dinner time, whisper in her ear another "thank you". She won't know if she's coming or going. And MERRY CHRISTMAS to one of the most deserving fellows around.

·
Registered
281 Posts
it will cost more next year and your dollars will be worth less next year, so it would be more kind to your family to get it this year. i always try to think about others:)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know, I rarely (Laugh Out Loud) when on the computer, but several responses in this thread made me do so! I have to run up to the auto parts store and get some spark plugs for the tractor. I think I'll drop by WalMart and, at the very least, have them call their supplier to see if the Marlin is in stock. I'll be taking my cash with me.....

Thanks fellows!! I knew I could count on you guys to support a weak-willed, self-centered, greed-stricken wimp and help him through this crisis! ((( :D )))

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
You know, I rarely (Laugh Out Loud) when on the computer, but several responses in this thread made me do so! I have to run up to the auto parts store and get some spark plugs for the tractor. I think I'll drop by WalMart and, at the very least, have them call their supplier to see if the Marlin is in stock. I'll be taking my cash with me.....

Thanks fellows!! I knew I could count on you guys to support a weak-willed, self-centered, greed-stricken wimp and help him through this crisis! ((( :D )))

Dont worry, I might need your support back when I start drooling on a .450 Marlin again !

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tang, I'll be happy to fib and egg you on, just so you'll feel ok getting your rifle! :D

I ordered it. It's done. The guilt will settle in slowly, like cold in the bones on the leading edge of a winter storm. I could use some continuing therapy and support.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Your wife must really hate that you found this forum. Just use this arguement,

I don't drink, smoke, or chase women. I like to enjoy a hobby and I don't get in trouble, now which of the previous things would you like me to start? - Coach Lou Houltz, Notre Dame

1 - 20 of 32 Posts