Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hunting up in Morley, Michigan my first time with a bow in a tree stand, I was watching a trail in a swamp that was next to the Little Muskegon River, there was this small oak tree laying in the water and there was an acorn on a branch near the water, this little red squirrel would go out on this limb and try to get the acorn but every time he would get near it the limb would start to submerge and he would scurry back, the action for deer hunting in this spot was not the best and this was a needed distraction, well I was watching him for a while and he got brave, and when he did get ahold of that acorn a big ole bass came up and snatched him off the limb and I just thought that was the craziest thing I had ever witnessed in my 57yrs, well the water started to swirl where I had last seen the squirrel and wouldn't you know it that bass put up another acorn. Take care and have fun. Swany

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,029 Posts
Gotta admit - you had me there til the very end, Swany!! :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jup - had me too
I have not seen a bass take a mammal before, but I have seen one take a moorhen chick that made the mistake of scurrying away across a deep channel.

Guess where a popper got cast soon after - 5.5 pounds

Cheers

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,029 Posts
HI, Rodders -

Welcome to the forum.

Speaking of bass taking young puddle birds, we used to live where there was a small pond loaded with bass and catfish. Also, there were Merganzer ducks (nasty things!) hanging around. When they had a hatching and led the little ones to the pond, the bass had a field day hitting on them. Sure kept the duck population under control!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts