Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a .36 cal. rifle for squirrel hunting, I have a T/C Hawken .54 and was looking for a drop in barrel for it, unfortunatley they don't make one. State law limits me to a .36 cal or smaller, and understand that .32 foul up real fast. If someone is looking to get rid of a .36 in either flint or percussion let me know. It doesn't have to be pretty just functional as I don't have a lot to spend. I'm fairly new to muzzleloading so any ideas you guys may have I would really appreciate, so far I'm having a great time with this new hobby which is slowly turning into a passion. Thanks. Roger

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Roger,

Glad to see you've found the joys of ML'ing!

.32's can sometimes be picky but not much more than anything else and usually the problem arises from too much powder. The little 47-52gr balls don't need a whole lot of powder to get them moving, 10-20gr is more than sufficient and 3F doesn't always burn cleaner, I've had more than one .40cal and under run cleaner on 2F than with 3F.

I will shy you away from a drop-in barrel for the sole reason of mass. You get a 1" or 15/16" OD barrel with little .32/.36 hole in it and you've got youself the makings of a chunk gun that will be fine until you have to carry it for an hour or more.

The last I looked, the used smallbore T/C's & CVA's were fetching prices that meet or exceed the cost of a brand new underhammer so don't be quick to jump on something you may not be happy with or can't get parts for.

Personally, I like a nice light .36 myself, good for anything from squirrels to turkey, I used to hunt woodchucks with a flinter.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Track of the Wolf may be able to custom make a drop in barrel in .36. I would go for a Colerain or a Rice. I reaaly like my .36 because I can use OOO buck shot which I buy in a five pound bag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen, Thanks for all the replies, gives me food for thought, if you guys see any used guns in .36 let me know. As any hobby it can get expensive and right now I'm limited on fundsi'm just looking for a functional gun for squirrels and for plinking. Roger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts