Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had some good discussions of fun guns lately, and this one below has to be one of those in my book!  I just don't seem to have time to play with all the fun toys!

I managed to come up with a CVA Squirrel Rifle several years ago and just put it aside when we had the gun shop.  It was cute, and I thought it might have a proper place some day, which it now does.

This little gun is a flintlock, and was made just for a short time by CVA.  A little lapping and polishing and that bore is excellent.  Accurate as I can shoot a flinter too I might add! As well as a great way to keep in practice with a flinter in the off season!

I stopped to figure out the cost of shooting this little rascal and it surprised me!

FFFg Blackpowder at &#366.99/lb.  
15 grain charge gives 466 loads per pound!
Cost is 1.5 CENTS per round for powder!

Shoots 00 Buckshot for projectiles.  I cast my own, but figured the cost if buying commercial buckshot.

00 Buck weighs roughly 44 grains per ball
A 5 pound bag of Hornady 00 Buck costs &#364.98 per bag
That yields 795 projectiles per 5 pound bag of shot!
Cost per round for projectile is .62 cents or &#3600.0062!

This little flintlock squirrel rifle can be shot for the same cost of CHEAP .22 ammo!  And five times the fun, while being superbly accurate! It is trim, balances well and only weighs in at 5 1/4 pounds!  Some Fun!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Marshall,

You've hit on something I've been thinking about the last few weeks. I want to start playing with black powder and thought if I go primitive, might as well go flintlock. That little CVA looks fun. Are there any books on shooting black powder arms you would recommend for a beginner?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, MT:
  I've got The Lyman Black Powder Handbook and The Complete Black Powder Handbook by Sam Fadala, DBI Books.  Lyman has some general information and realistic (pre-lawyer) load data. It's a bit dated (1975) but so are flinters. Dr. Sam covers almost everything else. The Dixie Gun Works catalog has every goodie you'll ever need.  There could be better books out there, but these are what I've got.

Check out this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/ca/December2000.html
There's a page of good tips about 2/3rds of the way down.

I wish I had a little gun like Marshall's. We've got some awfully small 12 year olds in the class this year and the T/C Hawkens are too heavy for them.

Forget about artificial flints. English flints last five times longer and spark better from the start.

I found some good web sites a while back. I'll dig them out if you want. Now I'd better get back to loading them thar new-flanged cartridges.

Bye
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 8:57 pm on Feb. 20, 2001)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
It's good to see some interest generating on black powder guns. We are lucky in Florida to have a separate muzzleloading season. Also there's no limit on deer except two a day, no season limit! .40 caliber is the smallest allowed for deer. We are seeing more .32's and 36's during our long small game season. What is really taking off is muzzle loading shotguns! The leading sales are the Pedersoli's stocked by Dixie and Cabellas. Hunters are just starting to realize is that there is so much more shooting and game taken with the shotguns. As for big game..you would be surprised how accuracy a tight patched round ball is in a ML shotgun! Imagine the wound channel of a .730" [email protected] 1100'/" would be. My 10 ga.double will keep them all in 6" at 75 yards out of my right barrel, which is IC. With Ballistic Products selling bismuth, waterfowling on the coast is picking up. The Flinters are great, but in this damp region, most go percussion. A couple of our boys are shooting Pyro, but most have switched to Elephant Brand, it's a lot cleaner than Goex. Sam Fadala tested Pyro Ctg and found it gave outstanding patterns in shotguns, but it has been discontinued. We are trying to get Elephant Fg for this Spring Turkey Season, but it's tight. We were using RWS caps for years, but have now switched to CCI Magnums. We also use the small plastic sleeves that push down between the top of the cap and the bottom of the nipple. I finished the article "Forty Years with Muzzleloading Shotguns" a while back. It's on Pedersoli's Italian Web, but they have not posted in the USA. For those interested in getting into the ML shotgun game maybe I can get a copy for you.
We don't have the war between inlines and hammer guns going in Florida. I shoot a .50 cal. TC Grayhawk, but many like the Ruger inline. Our thoughts are...if you push it down the barrel, it's a muzzleloader! Another gun that's catching on down here is the TC New Englander with a set of barrels..12 ga and .50 cal. For a while Sabot loads were hot, but the trend now is back to conicals. The best is Hornadys Great Plains, followed by Buffalo Bullets. Even the inline boys are switching...it could be a trend all over!
I think the boys are missing some fun, if they are not burning black! Many of the Cowboy Shooters are burning black now down here, but you know us "Southerns" are backwards, so they say (not to our face though!). We still fly the "Stars and Bars!" All jokes aside, ML'ing is a great game and those that to put the "hunting" back into Hunting, have a good time!
Best Regards from the Hammock....James

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
By The Way....CVA has a little light .50 cal. out now called the "Bobcat" with a 1 in 48" twist...Cissey shoots one with .495" rb and 70 grains of FFg. What's great about the little gun is it is super accurate! It does not look so great, but for around &#3675.00 at Walmart???? The rifle weighs about like a M1 Carbine.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
9 Posts
Marshall,  I have a question about the CVA .32.  Mine is a caplock that started out as a kit.  I've only seen one, and I bought it  right then.  The Hornaday balls I have measure .314 (instead of .310), and they are tight in the bore with a .015 patch (yes, I measured it).  00 Buckshot, according to the Shooter's Bible, is .330, so it should not fit in a .32 bore.  Should I continue with the .314 balls (they are accurate) or go to something smaller (#1 buck) or a thinner patch (.005)?  That's a lot of questions.  I do enjoy shooting the little thing, and you're right, it is cheap.  I use Pyrodex P (for now).  Is there any reason to switch to BP?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, RB:
 Generally, you'll get better accuracy with a bigger ball and thinner patch. I'd try a .010 patch before a .005 patch, which is a bit thin for my liking. Too easy to cut on the rifling.  I suspect your bore is bigger than .32 if you can seat a .314 ball with a .015 patch.  Black definitely is easier to light, and most people say it's more consistent, velocity wise. I shoot a flinter, so I don't use Pyrodex. You'll have to shoot some groups to know for sure.
Bye
Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts