Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Inactive account
7,768 Posts
Hi, MT:
  I've got The Lyman Black Powder Handbook and The Complete Black Powder Handbook by Sam Fadala, DBI Books.  Lyman has some general information and realistic (pre-lawyer) load data. It's a bit dated (1975) but so are flinters. Dr. Sam covers almost everything else. The Dixie Gun Works catalog has every goodie you'll ever need.  There could be better books out there, but these are what I've got.

Check out this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/ca/December2000.html
There's a page of good tips about 2/3rds of the way down.

I wish I had a little gun like Marshall's. We've got some awfully small 12 year olds in the class this year and the T/C Hawkens are too heavy for them.

Forget about artificial flints. English flints last five times longer and spark better from the start.

I found some good web sites a while back. I'll dig them out if you want. Now I'd better get back to loading them thar new-flanged cartridges.

Bye
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 8:57 pm on Feb. 20, 2001)

·
Inactive account
7,768 Posts
Hi, RB:
 Generally, you'll get better accuracy with a bigger ball and thinner patch. I'd try a .010 patch before a .005 patch, which is a bit thin for my liking. Too easy to cut on the rifling.  I suspect your bore is bigger than .32 if you can seat a .314 ball with a .015 patch.  Black definitely is easier to light, and most people say it's more consistent, velocity wise. I shoot a flinter, so I don't use Pyrodex. You'll have to shoot some groups to know for sure.
Bye
Jack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts