Shooters Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The nice lady on the phone replied that they were identical and that CCI's own employees bought only the SR primers for both purposes because they were priced slightly lower. She even took the time to double-check on her computer to confirm they used the same cups and anvils and had the same quantity of priming composition in them.
This must be about ?? times this question has popped up, and same for the answer.

One reason I prefer to stockpile CCI primers, especially SR/SP standard and magnum. Before the covid monster appeared, I decided to restock my SR inventory as my five .223/5.56's, and a pair of .300 Ham'rs all shoot just fine with CCI's. For some reason, (the possibility that Don might lose, mainly), I went for 5K of each, standard and magnum. I have lots of primers. Thanks Unclenick :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been told never checked that they are differnt depths one is taller than the other measure with dial caliper if all measurements are the same I would say try some with reduced loads.
Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Should have no problems swapping them out. As others have said, maybe back your load down a bit and work back up, but more than likely unless you're at or above max, you will see almost no change.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Normally you would NOT use primers meant for rifle cartridges in a handgun or visa-versa. But call the help desk at CCI, or Winchester and ask them. Years ago the heat of a rifle primer (so I read back then) was hotter due to the larger slower burning charge to ignite. And that made the rifle primers generally too hot for pistols. Would a too hot primer in a handgun push unburned powder out of the barrel since powders burn....not explode? There is also the issue of the primer's metal. Thinner in handgun primers.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,808 Posts
Remington used to advertise one or another of their small rifle primers, as being ideal for the .357 Mag. ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for that BH355, just what I needed. I've just about run out of small pistol primers but have nearly 3000 sr primers for my 223 so it makes sense to use what's available to me.
If you get any misfires your handgun may not have the extra ooomph rifle primers normally get.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,808 Posts
You know he's asking about using them in a rifle, correct? Winchester 1894?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Normally you would NOT use primers meant for rifle in a handgun or visa-versa. But call the help desk at CCI, or Winchester and ask them.
Under normal circumstances, this is true......although, little to no primer availability right now, or buying the "correct" ones for your application at 10x-1000x markup on places like gunbroker, doesn't constitute "NORMAL" to me. So I would say there is no harm in experimenting with what you have, as long as you follow the standard safety precautions. Most of the popular cartridges available today would not have ever been found if it weren't for Wildcatters playing around with stuff instead of sticking with the Normal loadings.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Under normal circumstances, this is true......although, little to no primer availability right now, or buying the "correct" ones for your application at 10x-1000x markup on places like gunbroker, doesn't constitute "NORMAL" to me. So I would say there is no harm in experimenting with what you have, as long as you follow the standard safety precautions. Most of the popular cartridges available today would not have ever been found if it weren't for Wildcatters playing around with stuff instead of sticking with the Normal loadings.
Agree 100%

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't see a problem especially in a strong rifle. If I'm not mistaken, the first .357 loads had small rifle primers. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't know about the 357 magnum ever using small rifle primers but the 357 Maximum (super magnum) uses small rifle primers.

·
Super Moderator
13,506 Posts
I don't see a problem especially in a strong rifle. If I'm not mistaken, the first .357 loads had small rifle primers. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
The first 357 loads were just 38 Specials overloaded in a heavy frame revolver in an attempt to equal or exceed 38 Super pistol performance in a revolver. Elmer Keith and Phil Sharpe and Dan Wesson were all involved in it. Keith did a lot of the loading experiments and did the first bullet design. Sharpe modified the bullet and it was modified again later. Wesson got it into production at Smith & Wesson, and I believe he was responsible for coming up with the longer case to prevent chambering the higher pressure round in a 38 Special revolver. This is what I recall reading, but someone who knows more of the history may chime in.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts