Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back about a year ago I posted about having problems with my Super Redhawk .454.

The Problem was that I kept having misfires. It was just before hunting season so I waited to send it back to Ruger.

Good thing I waited.

I bought some Starline Brass through the internet. I worked up a load with this new brass and much to my amazement...
Not a single misfire.

The brass that I was using was some winchester primed cases.
I did however punch each and every primer out and used several different primers. (at first I thought the fault was CCI because I had more problems with their primers)

I have had no problems with Winchester Brass in the past, and I still would use it (different lot though) -except for the fact that the Starline brass was much cheaper. And after seeing how many people in here use or have used it with little or no problems I switched.

Just thought I would share this with everyone
for what its worth

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Thanks for the update.

I've found that Starline brass is amongst some of the most uniform and highest quality brass available today. No, it's not in the same class as Norma with it's drilled flash holes and machined rims and extractor grooves, but it's still quite impressive drawn brass, that's very uniform, even lot to lot and batch to batch within the same caliber.

Interesting about your lot of Winchester .454 Casull brass. Have you compared it dimensionally with the Starline brass? Compared Primer Pocket Depth, flash hole diameter, rim thickness, etc? It might be a revealing study.

Let us know what you find, and thanks for the info!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Marshal
I'm with you- I've own a SRH 454 and fed just about all available brass through it an never had a miss fire that was caused by the brass. Had a bad lot of CCI primers though!
and didn't seat some totally once on second hit they fired. :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt even think of comparing the brass. I will have to do that . That is if I have any of the Winchester brass around

I have shot many .45 colt loads through this gun without a single problem.

I should add that the Winchester brass was already primed and I found out the hard way that I would rather prime my own.

the first shot never went off and the second one ignited just enough to plug the barrel with the bullet and a bunch of powder. Kind of a waste of an hour trip to a buddies house to shoot for the day.

I went home and pulled every bullet and then tumbled the brass to get any residue that may have contaminated the brass.

I thought the CCI primers I bought were bad. So I bought some Remington primers. which worked better but still a few misfires. I had the best luck with Winchester primers. I even tried seating some extra hard and single shooting them to see if it would make a difference. (none)

I was about to send the gun to Ruger when I tried the Starline brass and no longer have had a problem.

If I find any of the winchester brass I will attempt to get a good comparison and fill you all in.

I dont question Winchester but I do wonder what happened to that lot of brass that I bought at that dealer. Something tells me that it was badly handled by someone outside of winchester.

mk

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks MikeG. I had given the firing pin some thought a while back. It does feel by hand to have enough punch and length. I have measuring equipment at work that could accurately measure to make sure but They do not allow firearms .

If I do have any problems with starline brass even once the gun will be given a new firing pin.

Once again thank you

MK

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Mwk177
O.K what did the primer look like on the ones that wouldn't fire? All my primers have a very pronouced indent. Even with just snapping a primer off with out a load in it. Now that I've sat and thought some I think you got some bad stuff from Winchester, Probably got exposed to too much humidity during shipment or at the factory and ruined the prmers. I never bought primed cases so I never experienced this. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts