Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
All beautiful knives. Thanks for sharing the pics! 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Another stag handled knife showed up. It's an inexpensive Rite Edge (not an American made Rite Edge), but I really like the stag handle over what's likely a rattail blade blank. Very happy with it for the $$ paid. Seems a great value for such a nicely finished piece. It's shown with another inexpensive knife I just received that has bone scales. Both have SS blades and both came with decent enough leather sheaths too.

Utility knife Natural material Knife Everyday carry Tool

Natural material Knife Everyday carry Wood Rectangle

Hand tool Tool Knife Carmine Fashion accessory

Reactions: Pudfark

Premium Member
Can you tell how the inner porous part was sealed up? They do a vacuum process epoxy on some antler and wood grips that really works well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Can you tell how the inner porous part was sealed up? They do a vacuum process epoxy on some antler and wood grips that really works well.
I cannot. They used a full sized brass plate at the pommel, and used a star "screw" to attach it. It feels great and quite substantial in hand. I'm impressed with the circumference size of the antler.

Premium Member
That's the base of the antler, the burr probably went to a carver, that
gray patch on top is where the brow tine was cut off and exposes the
heart of the antler. It must be an epoxy sealer that fills the gray patch.

Reactions: Tnhunter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Another stag handled knife showed up over the weekend. A 3.5" SS blade and 7.5" OAL. Very nicely finished all-around.

Some pics and the info supplied from the ad. And, a pic with the similar sized Joker I recently got.

First of all I want to say thank you to all of my followers and supporters. After a long break, I am finally back making my custom elk-handled knives.
Here I have a custom made drop point skinner with a genuine elk horn (antler) handle. It is made from 440c High Carbon steel and is beautifully handcrafted with a custom stag elk antler handle, polished to a high gloss.
The razor sharp blade is approximately 3 1/2鈥 and has an average HRC of 57-58. The knife has an overall length of approximately 7 1/2鈥.
Full tang construction with brass pins.
Comes complete with the pictured handmade and hand tooled leather sheath, made with pride in the USA from high quality 7-8 oz. bridle leather.
The antler is 100% natural, no dyes or polyurethanes added, just sanded and polished to a high gloss.

Every knife that I make, I make as if I were going to keep it for myself. I put a lot of time into each and every one of my knives and I do it solely for the love of the outdoors. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied, please let me know and I will make it right.

Wood Natural material Musical instrument Plant Jewellery

Natural material Wood Knife Blade Cutlery

Footwear Font Quill Jewellery Leather

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
New arrival this afternoon. This knife caught my eye with it's stag scales and drop point blade. Handmade in Turkey, full tang blade is German 4116 SS. Blade is a tad longer than I normally like at 4 3/4", but the good sized grip with thick "deer antler" scales offsets the blade very well. I always like the option of a lanyard hole as well. Came with a nice looking leather sheath with a bit of tool work (stamped, I'm sure). Certainly a substantial, handsome piece that passed the paper "test" with flying colors; nice and sharp!

Natural material Everyday carry Utility knife Knife Rectangle

Natural material Animal product Knife Utility knife Hunting knife

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I just couldn't resist buying another drop point with elk antler scales made by the same maker as the one from post #26. A tad bigger with a 3 3/4" 440C SS blade and bolster, 7 7/8" OAL. The antler to tang fit was superb as with the first and the blade is as sharp. It was actually a tad less than the 1st I got and I suppose that's due to the smaller portions of elk antler needed in the handle. Another great, heavy leather sheath with this one as well; a tad larger than the first. Very happy with the two of them (y)

Tableware Vertebrate Cutlery Wood Kitchen utensil

Knife Natural material Everyday carry Blade Fashion accessory

Tableware Cutlery Grey Knife Blade

Premium Member
I just got a stag handled knife in the mail!!

Fifty years ago a friend asked if I could 'do anything' with a knife he had as a boy and was lost and then re-found.
This old Marbles had a leather handle but it rotted off in the swamp during the 40 years it was lost. It's not much but he loved it and appreciated the stag I put on it. He died three weeks ago and his widow sent me his knives and small treasures we all collect.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry to hear about your friend's passing. But, how great is that!! Great looking knife with a uniquely interesting story behind it! 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I found a nice used stag handled knife with Damascus blade by Parker Edwards. It was still in the original box, but 30+ years of neglect was evident. A bit of polish and wax and the knife looked great and the sheath looks like new.

Blue Light Electric blue Fashion accessory Magenta
Product Textile Purple Sleeve Material property
Blue Natural material Knife Blade Electric blue

Premium Member
Is somebody haunting ebay these days? I have a drawer layer of stag stockmans and only one in my pocket. There are symptoms here. We can help you hide them if you want to carry on. Never intervene if the cause is worthy. ;) ;)

Reactions: Tnhunter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Who needs help? 馃檮 LOL

I did some searching among my stock of old, unused ammo and managed to find almost $900 worth of very hard to find stuff that sold pretty quickly.

Some of that $$ went towards this older Bear MGC. New, unused condition (display only) with sheath, but no box. Virtually a twin in size to the Parker Edwards above. Lucky find for me.

Tool Knife Blade Tree Wood
Material property Tints and shades Font Composite material Metal
Electric blue Spice Blazer Office supplies Metal

Reactions: JBelk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Another stag handled knife showed up. A little known maker ALCAS which is(was?) a partnership of ALcoa and CASe. Handy size at 8" OAL with 4" SS blade. Unused, but didn't come with a sheath so I'm trying some I have on for size. From what I've seen online with pricing I did pretty good.

Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Wood Snips
Hand tool Tool Snips Metalworking hand tool Natural material
Wood Natural material Animal product Knife Feather
Body jewelry Wood Jewellery Helmet Metal
Natural material Wood Line Wing Fashion accessory

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I found another Puma IP with nice stag scales. VERY similar to the Puma IP I bought a couple months ago, but with a brass bolster and heftier feel to the stag grips. The newer one is a Trapper model, the older one is an Outdoor Hunter.

Grey Utility knife Hunting knife Tool Knife
Knife Utility knife Everyday carry Blade Hunting knife
Knife Blade Utility knife Font Metal
Sleeve Body jewelry Wood Feather Jewellery
Tool Everyday carry Knife Watch accessory Blade
Cosmetics Silver Office supplies Writing implement Tints and shades

21 - 36 of 36 Posts