Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned a Ruger Bisley .44 mag. in the mid 80's, I'm ready to get back into the singleaction market. I'm interested in the 4 5/8" barrel I would prefer the blued model, but I've read that shooting heavier (300 grain or more) bullets requires a taller front sight. I can see that on the stainless model that the front sight is pinned and I believe the front sight on the blued model is soldered on. Is the pinned sight removal as easy driving the pin with a punch or is there more to it than that. Heating and removing the front sight on the blue model and resoldering a new sight would probably require rebluing. Is it worth that to have a blued gun or should I just go with the stainless?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Having owned a Ruger Bisley .44 mag. in the mid 80's, I'm ready to get back into the singleaction market. I'm interested in the 4 5/8" barrel I would prefer the blued model, but I've read that shooting heavier (300 grain or more) bullets requires a taller front sight. I can see that on the stainless model that the front sight is pinned and I believe the front sight on the blued model is soldered on. Is the pinned sight removal as easy driving the pin with a punch or is there more to it than that. Heating and removing the front sight on the blue model and resoldering a new sight would probably require rebluing. Is it worth that to have a blued gun or should I just go with the stainless?
Pick what most appeals to you. I've replaced the pinned front before (including heat to loosen) without needing to reblue. THAT SAID, you should still be prepared for touch-up, but it shouldn't be an issue. FWIW....

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Haven't kept up with Ruger Single Actions in a lot of years. That said does the Super Blackhawk come in 4 5/8s inch now days? Ive had Blackhawk, 45 Colt for 30 some odd years with a 4 5/8ths barrel. Does Ruger still put the yard deep polish on the Super Blackhawk?

Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the Ruger catalog, the Super Blackhawk comes in 4 5/8 ",
5 1/2 ", 7 1/2" and 10 1/2" barrels. The 7 1/2" and the 10 1/2" still have the square back triggerguard which I don't particularly care for, and the 4 5/8 " has the unfluted cylinder as well as the 7 1/2'" and the 10 1/2" models.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I believe the deep blue went by the wayside with the three screw setup.
That's a bummer. I admired the beautiful polish and blue job. Colt's Royal Blue and Smith and Wesson's polish and blue job on the N frames were the signature of an era in gun making. It's to bad that era has passed.

Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have two Ruger Black Hawks ,A blue 4 5/8 and a 7 1/2 stainless. The 4 5/8 blued front site is soldered on but it shoots real good. I use a gold touch up pin on the ramp and my old eyes can see it fine. You can get the pin at Crown Hardware in the paint department. I don't see any reason for a taller sight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I wish my blued 5 1/2" bbrl'd SBH was pinned.

The front sight is too low to use the heavier bullets, as the combination of lower velocity + greater recoil, put my POI about 2' High at 25yds with the 300/320gr designs. Even the 265/270gr bullets require a 6 o'clock hold, on a 6" bull at 25yds.

I've considered having the existing sight milled with a groove to handle that, but I've never seen that listed anywhere as a service.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You girls just need to shoot longer distances! :D

Blued guns are soldered, stainless guns are pinned.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
New Jersey must be about the size of Silver Bow county here... so that could be true! :D

Turns out that NJ is actually about 7600 square miles, we would need two counties to make it. Our largest is Beaverhead County at just over 5500 square miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts