Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me find parts for a Star M43?
I lost the ball bearing that locks the safety in the selected position.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Can anybody help me find parts for a Star M43?
I lost the ball bearing that locks the safety in the selected position.
Thank you!

Try Numeric Arms. google them up, they have alot of parts for just about any gun made. If that doesn't work, a good 'smith can often fix the problem with missing parts.

I have 3 Firestars and love them all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you have the grips off and push down on the safety lever? I did that the first day I had mine.:) It took me an hour and a half of dragging a magnet around in the carpet to find it. Good luck in your search.

millman

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!
Well ,I was able to find a ball from a old aircraft control bearing that worked. However ,it is a bit too large so it
causes the safety lever to rub on the right side of the gun ,marring the finish .
But at least it is functional.
But ,I need the right part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You may know this, but the missing piece is not just a ball. It is a short pin with a rounded end. It might be easier to take a drill bit of the proper diameter, round the shank end, and grind it to length, than to find the actual Star replacement part. I have found the Firestar to be a good pistol, but this safety detent plunger issue, is a design flaw in my opinion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M43 Firestar Safety

Yes ,I was doing some major cleaning and touch up and removed the grips and thought I would remove the safety like on a 1911 . As I remember ,I didn't notice until the re-assembly when the safety would
not click.
I assumed it was a little check-ball ,so that is what I search all over the room for. Maybe that's why
I never found it!
I like your idea . Thanks a lot! I'll let you know how it works out . I hope I can do a god job re-touching the wear mark .
I like the gun,but it IS HEAVY . It is too heavy for my wife to carry concealed.
Although ,if you run out of ammo,it would probably kill who ever you threw it at!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took mine apart last night (carefully :) ) to look at the little pin again. It is about 3/16 s long, but the part I forgot is that the last half of it is very small diameter to fit inside that little spring. Like a guide rod. I dont think a replacement would have to have the small diameter part, but it will have to be a bit shorter than the OAL of the original.
HTH,
Millman

These pistols are quite heavy, but mine is the M40 (.40 S&W), and the extra weight is appreciated. It still has a pretty hefty flip, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firestar

I took mine apart last night (carefully :) ) to look at the little pin again. It is about 3/16 s long, but the part I forgot is that the last half of it is very small diameter to fit inside that little spring. Like a guide rod. I dont think a replacement would have to have the small diameter part, but it will have to be a bit shorter than the OAL of the original.
HTH,
Millman

These pistols are quite heavy, but mine is the M40 (.40 S&W), and the extra weight is appreciated. It still has a pretty hefty flip, though.
There IS reason to save old broken drillbits!
I brought from work a bore brush container full of small numbered drill fragments and tried them out for
size. I just selected two -one for the ball end and another to gauge how much to turn down the larger
for the tang that fits into the spring. The larger bit is just the size of the cavity.
To-morrow ,I'll attempt to fabricate the part at the shop,and fit it .
I'll let you know.
Again ,
Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
firestart part

Millman,
You may not believe this,but I just made the part right here and now, out of a small wire nail. Using my
Leatherman Tool! (the file blade and wire cutter)

It works just fine ,the safety feels normal and doesn't rub the frame anymore.

Praise GOD!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm glad you got it fixed. The only thing I would watch for is that the pin, being made of a soft nail, might wear prematurely.
Glad it worked out,
Millman

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
firestar safety

I'm glad you got it fixed. The only thing I would watch for is that the pin, being made of a soft nail, might wear prematurely.
Glad it worked out,
Millman
Well, actually I was having second thoughts about using something as hard as a High-Speed drillbit.
I didn't want it wearing out the safety lever. That be hard to find ! The nail may be just hard enough.
I be able to tell if it is starting to wear out, and I know where I can get another one of them!

With the file attachment on my Leatherman ,I was able to fashion a tang to fit inside the coil spring , stabilizing the pin .
It definitely functions better than with the ball-bearing.
Praise God!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lost the little ball - try a lead shot - or steel shot of the correct size. It might wear out quicker but it is cheap to replace.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
touch-up finish

Now I need some advice on re-touching the finish ;where the safety rubbed the frame on my Firestar.
I have a bottle of Birchwood-Casey,Super Blue ,I plan on trying out on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That should work OK for a touch up. My M40 has the Starvel hard chrome finish, and I have never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Firestar 40 problem

I have a Firestar 40 and have shot it for many years. Last month I shot it for the first time in a year or so and after cleaning it aligned the two line marks to insert the pin/lever and the slide slipped forward just as the pin inserted. What a problem!!! Now the slide is locked hard, and I can not push the pin out as it is locked in place, don't know how I could have done it, but did. And force will not work. So, I am thinking about drilling out the pin mounting on the slide stop lever to push the pin out and then try to wiggle the stop lever out. Does anyone know anything about my issue? Can't figure how a pistol can be put together wrong and can not be un-done. But, I did it. Have bought a Firestar plus lever which looks to be about the same except the pin is a little longer, does anyone know if that will work in a non plus gun? Thanks for any help.:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Star M43 9mm problem

Hi All, just registered with this forum.

I have the Firestar 9mm and love it. I just got some new Promag 7 round clips and tested them out etc.
They are tighter then the oem mags but work ok. just to note, I don't much like the M43 magazines very much anyway but thats just me. The Promags are not any better.

OK, here is the problem. I wasn't at the range when I tested the mags out, So I locked the slide open to check that function when inserting a fresh mag, of course with the safety on. When a fresh 'loaded' mag was inserted (with normal force to place it) the slide now slams shut before I can release the slide-release.

I don't ever recall that happening before. If I insert a fresh mag with slightly less force the slide stays where it's supposed to. But.. if I hit the bottom of the mag with my palm it will then slam shut again without hitting the slide release .. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong and have read the manual over several times.

Your input is much appreciated.

Thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts