Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz published an open letter on Tuesday asking customers to “no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.”

Following several pro-gun events held at Starbucks locations, the coffee company is making it clear it wants no part in the gun debate.

While there is not yet an “outright ban” on firearms at Starbucks location, Schultz didn’t take that option completely off the table. He claims he wants to “give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request.”

“The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers,” he writes.

Dear Fellow Americans,

Few topics in America generate a more polarized and emotional debate than guns. In recent months, Starbucks stores and our partners (employees) who work in our stores have been thrust unwillingly into the middle of this debate. That’s why I am writing today with a respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.

From the beginning, our vision at Starbucks has been to create a “third place” between home and work where people can come together to enjoy the peace and pleasure of coffee and community. Our values have always centered on building community rather than dividing people, and our stores exist to give every customer a safe and comfortable respite from the concerns of daily life.

We appreciate that there is a highly sensitive balance of rights and responsibilities surrounding America’s gun laws, and we recognize the deep passion for and against the “open carry” laws adopted by many states. (In the United States, “open carry” is the term used for openly carrying a firearm in public.) For years we have listened carefully to input from our customers, partners, community leaders and voices on both sides of this complicated, highly charged issue.

Our company’s longstanding approach to “open carry” has been to follow local laws: we permit it in states where allowed and we prohibit it in states where these laws don’t exist. We have chosen this approach because we believe our store partners should not be put in the uncomfortable position of requiring customers to disarm or leave our stores. We believe that gun policy should be addressed by government and law enforcement—not by Starbucks and our store partners.

Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening. Pro-gun activists have used our stores as a political stage for media events misleadingly called “Starbucks Appreciation Days” that disingenuously portray Starbucks as a champion of “open carry.” To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores. Some anti-gun activists have also played a role in ratcheting up the rhetoric and friction, including soliciting and confronting our customers and partners.

For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

I would like to clarify two points. First, this is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request—and also because enforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on. Second, we know we cannot satisfy everyone. For those who oppose “open carry,” we believe the legislative and policy-making process is the proper arena for this debate, not our stores. For those who champion “open carry,” please respect that Starbucks stores are places where everyone should feel relaxed and comfortable. The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers.

I am proud of our country and our heritage of civil discourse and debate. It is in this spirit that we make today’s request. Whatever your view, I encourage you to be responsible and respectful of each other as citizens and neighbors.

Sincerely,

Howard Schultz

Starbucks CEO Asks Customers to Stop Bringing Guns ‘Into Our Stores or Outdoor Seating Areas’ | TheBlaze.com

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think it couldn't have been said better. As a business man, he is making this decision respectfully. I think it may decrease some traffic to stores (as the concealed carry crowd will observe his request, or boycott him because of it) but that is his decision.

I take no exception to his position, or the way he authored the statement.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,809 Posts
I don't think there will be much effect nationwide. The local stores here have never tried to keep out CHL holders that I know of.

Most franchise owners will know their local market and what will fly.

If I was him I wouldn't want to take part in the debate either. Sounds chicken but people paying for coffee spend money the same whether pro or anti gun.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Hmmm . . . . ; But it does send a signal to Those of Criminal Intent that a Starbucks store might be a good target for an armed robbery with little chance of instant response, would it not?
Just wondering.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that he said it well. Needles to say that I'm disappointed with his choice to back out. However Mr. Schultz did treat gun owners with respect up to and including this point, but most people didn't even know Starbucks was supportive of peoples gun rights, so no, it wont effect Starbucks much.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I agree this request probably won't effect their over all business much. Business owners are stuck with the problem of trying to make everybody happy and do it in a way that also fits their own views. I'm thinking Mr. Shultz might believe gun owners might be more willing to work with him and understand why he is making this decision more than the anti gun crowd understands the right to carry. It's too bad it has to be this way but private business has always had it's rules. No shirt,no shoes-- We reserve the right to refuse service--Cowboys leave your guns at the door of the saloon.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,809 Posts
Well if a person has a Concealed Carry Permit, and carry's in a store, who would know if, the weapon was in fact, concealed?
Exactly correct. Very few stores in this area post correct signage to keep out CHL holders, anyway.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,837 Posts
In my area, being an "open Carry" anytime state, you see folks in Starbucks all the time with strapped-on sidearms. No one seems to pay much attention except the biddies in the flower decked hats.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
First, I may lack the macho gene, but I feel open carry, while it should be allowed, is seldom really appropriate. In public, I conceal, and no one at Starbuck's will know I'm heeled -- but still able to respond instantly to a threat. Second -- explain to me why anyone would be there anyway? A distinctly mediocre product, exorbitantly priced.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Just watch...

. . . But it does send a signal to Those of Criminal Intent that a Starbucks store might be a good target for an armed robbery with little chance of instant response...
Just watch: The next mass-murder episode will occur at a "gun-free" Starbucks. The perp will not get the blame. You know what will...

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
In my area, being an "open Carry" anytime state, you see folks in Starbucks all the time with strapped-on sidearms. No one seems to pay much attention except the biddies in the flower decked hats.
Yeah, but!. In Arizona those two flower-topped biddie's conversation goes like this: "Now stop arguing! I'm telling you, it's a P226. It's just like mine, I can see it plain as day!" "Well, I don;t care anymore if it is or isn't. It's no match for my glock!". "Whoa! Check out the stud who just walked in. He's got an MP5! I think I'm going to faint!"

I agree with others, though: Starbuck's coffee is overpriced and way too acidic. In a study I heard on the radio, the weakest to strongest coffees go from McDees, to Dunkin Donuts, to Starbucks. They had this "milligrams of caffeine per ounce" or something rating to determine it.

I like McDees coffee. Plus, I can carry my gun in there, open or concealed (well, I can at Starbucks too) ((:)D)))

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In Arizona those two flower-topped biddie's conversation goes like this: "Now stop arguing! I'm telling you, it's a P226. It's just like mine, I can see it plain as day!" "Well, I don;t care anymore if it is or isn't. It's no match for my glock!". "Whoa! Check out the stud who just walked in. He's got an MP5! I think I'm going to faint!
What kind of old biddies do you have in Arizona? :eek::confused:

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Gun totting old biddies who are paying attention to people wearing sidearms! :)D)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Listened to him speak on Network news today. It seem to me to be very contradictory. Bottom line when it was done he said himself it is a request for law abiding citizens not to bring either open carry or concealed carry in the store. In the same breath he said it was not enforceable and that if a patron came in with a firearm they would still be served as it was a voluntary request. It was very contradictory, and the message mixed, several times he said we are neither pro gun or anti gun. Bottom line it was a feel good letter and by his own admission an attempt to take Starbucks off the stage of being battled over by anti and pro gun supporters.

Nothing has changed legally

Good luck
Shoot straight and shoot often
GF

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bottom line it was a feel good letter and by his own admission an attempt to take Starbucks off the stage of being battled over by anti and pro gun supporters.
I can't blame him. He doesn't want to infringe on peoples rights to carry a gun, he just can't take the risk of crazy people (on both sides of the argument) destroying his coffee shops. Now lets be honest, which side do you think will compromise to a friendly request? The people who destroy the lives of anyone who disagrees with them, or gun owners?

If you picked gun owners, congratulations, your a rational human being. And you made the same choice as Mr. Schultz.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem is the anti gun folks trying to cause a stir by thrusting a large company like starbucks into the spotlight and making them choose a side. On thing that I have also seen is people start to open carry in places like this just to try ruffle some feathers. I don't know how to feel about that . But im tired of people trying to force their beliefs on me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.