Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to reloading. Today, I was loading some 45 Colt rounds using N32C in my Lee Auto Drum. As I was pouring powder into the Lee bottle I had powder literally jumping out of it. Later on, the powder wouldn't dispense. Everything seemed fine except apparently the static charge was causing it to cling to the Auto Drum. How do you get rid of the static electricity charge and how do you prevent it from building up? Also, Lee's powder funnel is plastic. Should I be using a brass one instead?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Wipe the plastic parts with a dryer leaf after its been through the clothes dryer. They prevent dreaded static cling in clean clothes and take the oddities out of plastics.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Wipe the plastic parts with a dryer leaf after its been through the clothes dryer. They prevent dreaded static cling in clean clothes and take the oddities out of plastics.
I second that post. I've asked my wife to save used dryer sheets for me. I keep them in a cleaned out peanut butter jar. A few wipes removes static like magic.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
What was said above-I believe Lee even tells you to use dryer sheets for static. As far as the Lee plastic funnel been using the same one for 40 years so yeah its fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any particular reason why it has to be a used dryer sheet?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,995 Posts
Once the plastic gets a nice coating of graphite, the powder will no longer stick to it. Lee dippers work the same way.

Reactions: Darkker and jimboro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drier sheets didn't work for me.

I put a little graphite powder in the hopper and shake it around so it coats the sides and then dispense it out like you would when charging cases so the drum also gets coated. This helps with accuracy in dropping charges too. Powder was sticky everywhere in the PM before doing this.

I have to repeat this after cleaning/servicing the powder measure and at least once every year it seems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts