Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem, I'm lazy! I use two Dillon 550b presses and typical loads will involve W296/H110 -- thus I fill the 550b primer tube with CCI 350 magnum primers.  When I get ready to use powders such as 2400, Unique, or even faster stuff like Red Dot, titegroup, Clay, etc., I don't take the extra time required to empty the primer tube and reinstall std. primers. The question is, does the use of magnum primers with powders not requiring their use affect the accuracy of the load? I realize I can use WLP primers that "supposedly" are made for use with all levels of powder -- but I've always been suspicious that all the WLP is is a magnum primer that you use for all powders?  Anyway, can anyone reference testing that indicates you "should not" or "has a negative impact" if magnum primers are used across the board?

Dan

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Hi Dan,
    As you know, I'm kind of a novice handgunner, but I have tried std and mag primers in my .44. As far as accuracy goes, I could not tell a difference (but given my shooting ability that is nothing definitive!). But interestingly the magnum primers gave very small extreme spreads, somewhat better than standard primers. The only powder I have used is AA #2 Imp. The primers were CCI std and mag. The only reason I tried the magnum primer was that they were the only ones the store had when I needed them. I think the only disadvantage is the cost ( an extra &#36.10 a pack). I say go ahead, be lazy!          Have fun,   IDShooter  

·
Registered
133 Posts
DOK, this is from FA's web site under 'loading data':
"TIP #1: Magnum primers are recommended for reloading for the 454 Casull TM. Magnum primers perform more reliably at temperatures below zero degrees F.  Magnum primers will most often give more uniform velocities in magnum pistol loads using slow powders, and heavy bullets.  More importantly the heavier construction of the primer cup prevents metal flow back, and provides a more positive ignition.  Remember to always seat the primer below the case head to prevent recoil from firing the cartridge while not aligned with the barrel."
That what I call the horse's mouth.

God bless,

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you're switching to magnum primers from standard primers on max loads of fast burning powder i'd be careful- you may have to reduce your powder charge to stay in safe pressure levels. Other than that i would probably do the same thing [and powders like 2400 seem to like mag primers better anyhow].

1 - 4 of 4 Posts