Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Loader !

I've emptied some steel cases yesterday and have been playing with my reloading toys today.

Question : Have you noticed that the primer hole in the primer pocket is much smaller than brass PMC or other brands of cases ? I broke all my depriming pins before I found out why that was. So, I used the only thing I had left for depriming: a 40 year old Wilson, one-at-a-time depromer. That pin measures 0.077". I didn't have a drill bit of 0.077", and since the first time around it went "BANG", I figured that it just go bang again. These 60 cases will have the original primer hole. Next time I'll open them up to as close to 0.077" as I can get !

I haven't yet determined what load I'm going to use, but I will use the taper crimp die by LEE. I have many die sets by EVERYBODY including some old Lyman dies, but LEE seems to be able to solve all of what few problems I may have. Now if they'd send out someone out here to shoot my groups for me I'd be all set.

Priming the steel cases is again a very spotty situation. My Winchester SR primers are sometimes high, sometimes flattened out and sometimes just beautiful------about as much one way as another.

Question: Do you know of a primer pocket swaging die that I could use with my loading press ----and where I might buy one ?:confused:

hope things are well with you, LOADER.

csward

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting info...but one question nags me...with the abundant availability of nice brass cases, why would you go through so much trouble to load steel cases?

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi CongoMike,

Because I have hundreds of POTENTIALLY empty steel cases, have very few empty brass cases, have hundreds of reloaded brass cases that won't chamber in my Ruger M77 yet were loaded for my TC Contender, have very little income since retirement, had Bush's crowd eat 50% of my life's savings, had blah, blah, blah. And those are the reasons, CongoMike.

Plus another one: As an engineer I like to do the things others think are un-doable for economic or other reasons. Also WOLF ammo shoots so badly in my Ruger M77 that I hate to give it all away---I'd duither shoot it up!

csward

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi CongoMike,

I'm so ticked off at trying to load those $%^&*() Wolf cases, that I don't even want to SHOOT those factory rounds I already have.

Since my first reply three hours ago, I've been experimenting with those steel cases. The only thing consistent about that project is their total inconsistency in every catagory a case can be measured. The groups are consistently huge however.

Unless I know for sure a person hase a gun having a twist of 9" or 10" I won't even bother them with free ammo that I have left.

Ruger should place a disclaimer i8n the box with each rifle to not shoot any bullet weight above 55 grains under any circumstances---actually, 50 grains or less would be better yet. Or even better still, build a rifle having a faster twist than the 12" twist it comes with now !! ARE YOU LISTENING, RUGER?

See ya, CongoMike.

csward

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Wolf ammo is notorious for inaccuracy and being FILTHY!

The cases are laquer coated and once the breech gets hot they WILL stick in the chamber.

Be careful reloading the steel cases for .223; I have heard they DO NOT expand the way brass does. There can be serious separation if loaded HOT!!!

If you need Brass, I'll send you some, you just pick up the freight. Don't get hurt over something so silly!:(

Chris~

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi m141a,

It looks llike I owe you a great deal, Chris. I suspected what I was trying to do was perhaps stupid before I began, but I didn't think it would be so dangerous !

If you have excess brass, I will accept your very kind offer of your sharing some with me. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you a check for whatever you need.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

chuck

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi m141a,
received your mail.
replied to your mail.
will mail payment tomorrow AM

Thank you for your concern and taking action.

chuck

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
PS

Take all those fired cases and Throw them out!!!!

If you have a bullet puller, pull the heads and throw the rest away!!!!!

I'm done...
chris~:p

·
Banned
2 Posts
CSWARD. If you need more 223 brass let me know. Got more than Ill ever need. Cant help my self just keep picking the stuff up.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good morning, Buford1,
Have you met m141a ? Well out of the goodness of his heart he has givin me 100 cases and 100 bullets. He is quite a man, as I'm sure you are also---a very kind person.
Raised on an Ohio farm, I was taught to never accept more help than I needed. Thus, I thank you from the bottom of my heart and do accept your extended friendship and appreciate your generosity very much.
Meet m141a, Buford1, you must have a lot in common! ME, for one thing ! ha ha hA

CHUCK:D

·
Banned
548 Posts
OK guys, this whole thing is MY fault. I got CS into this mess, because I had some success with one lot of the Wolf ammo. I appreciate the safety warnings very much, and will call off further experiments.

The Wolf cases do make nifty little rocket engines, with the right propellant. I flair the neck with a .308 decapper, and use a fuel unrelated to any firearm propellant.

This I will discontinue also as one went astray and poked a perfectly round hole through a 1 inch plank in my 3 board fence...sort of hazardous.

Like CS, I am also afflcted by "engineering curiosity", and I should be dismissed as a crank when I put my "experiments" up on the NET. I am taking my Wolf ammo back to the store for a credit.

The Midway once fired grade 1 223 brass is dang near free anyway.

Regarding twist rates, I am surprised that more ammo and bullet manufacturers do not indicate optimum twist rate right on the box. The new Savage bolt action 223 rifles all have a 1 in 9 inch twist rate, if anyone wants to shoot heavy out of a bolt rifle. They also cut their .243s at 1 in 9.25 inches instead of the SAAMI 1 in 10. Great for the really long high BC target bullets on the market today. I think they are pretty clever.

I am greatly impressed by your kind gestures to my new friend csward!

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HI LOADER !
I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY ACTIONS AND EXPERIMENTATIONS, MY FRIEND. YOU DIDN'T TALK ME INTO ANYTHING, LOADER, THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO DO. I APPRECIATE YOUR FRIENDSHIP AND YOUR DESURE TO HELP ME IN MY EFFORTS TO DO THE IMPOSSIBLE, OR AT THE VERY LEAST UNFEASIBLE.
I TOO AM IMPRESSED WITH ALL THE HELP, GUIDANCE AND GOOD WILL EXTENDED TO A TOTAL STRANGER. THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS THAT I CONSIDER MY FRIENDS AND BE AWARE THAT I AM PROUD TO A SMALL PART OF YOUR VERY DISTINGUISHED GROUP.

CSWARD

·
Registered
927 Posts
CS, I was surfing through these older threads and came across your .223 case dilema. If you are still in need of some, I have 1-2k WCC-99 once fired cases that I am ready to throw away. They have hard necks, I shoot .223AI and the necks end up splitting on me when I fireform them ( I don't care to take the time to anneal). Anyway, I use Federal brass and have all of this WCC lying around that you can have for free. I live in the same state, drop me an e-mail and I will hold it for you.

Allen F.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
STEEL CASE RELOADING

HI ALLEN FORAKER,

YOU ARE VERY KIND TO OFFER ME THIS EXCELLENT BRASS. DO YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE TO ANNEAL THE NECKS IF I WAS TO USE THEM AS IS IN MY STANDARD, OLD .223 RUGER M-77 ?

EVEN SO, I WOULD LIKE TO ACCEPT YOUR VERY GENEROUS OFFER. PLEASE SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS ON MY E-MAIL AND I'LL COME PICK THEM UP, ALLEN. JUST CHECK OUT MY PROFILE WHERE IT SAYS "TO SEND A PERSONAL E-MAIL".

I GUESS I SHOULD DO THAT WITH YOU WHEN I SIGN OFF HERE !

:) CHUCK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts