Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother in-law found a stevens .308 bolt action rifle for 270.00. I don't know much about these rifles, just that they are similar and made by savage which are good rifles but this rifle is in good condition , with a scope. is this a good price and are they as reliable as savage?
thanks,

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,318 Posts
JON,
Probably for the whole of your lifetime, the Steven's has been exactly the same gun.
One of my grips with Savage is how you could buy a Savage that was pronounced Stevens, for less money than one said Savage. Adjustable trigger? Yes. Crap tupperware stock? Yes, etc....
Now they use a tupperware quality cast pot metal for an Accutrigger, but still have a crap stock; But magically they are now several hundred more:confused:

Buy the gun, SAVAGE PARTS ARE SAVAGE PARTS. Doesn't matter how Savage is pronounced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Darkker,
thanks for ur reply, he's goin monday to get it, i couldn't find a better price online, i just wasn't sure about stevens, but now understand, an average brand owned by an average brand makes and average rifle.....lol
thanks again

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
If that rifle is like most, more than likely he'll be pleasantly surprised with how good it shoots. I've had experience with Stevens 200 out shooting rifles costing hundreds more.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Sounds like your Brother-In-Law found a very good .308 Rifle. I am not really familiar with "Stevens Arms" rifles, but had a .410 double barrel shotgun once many years ago, which was a Stevens Product.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
If that rifle is like most, more than likely he'll be pleasantly surprised with how good it shoots. I've had experience with Stevens 200 out shooting rifles costing hundreds more.
Almost certainly the case. I see them at the range regularly throughout the year, and most are shooting really well.

The stocks don't seem to be any problem, and the triggers are replaceable by the average guy, with a minimum of tools and experience if you just can't live with it. Midway sells spring kits for the guy on a budget if a trigger seems a bit much $$$$$.

And if he needs a .22-250,.243, 260. 7-08, .338 Federal or a .358 Winchester, really good barrels can be had for a very reasonable sum.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The only difference I've found between the Stevens and Savage is that the Stevens uses a firing pin which is smaller in diameter than the standard Savage 11/110 pin. Found this out when I broke a pin in my Stevens 243. Fitted the larger Savage pin, but it required shortening the spring end of the shaft, and modifying the bolt head to fit the thicker profile of the striker end of the pin.

Otherwise, the Savage and Stevens rifles are indentical, and very reliable.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
If it shoots anything like my son's Savage rifle, your BIL will be pleased with his purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts