Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's my dumb question for the day: was working on one today and for no particular reason looked to see what the degree of choke is. It's marked 12ga. and 3" chamber but absolutely nothing else. Do these old guns have any other way of designating choke? Goat

·
Registered
556 Posts
That was my first shotgun

I cannot recall the choke being marked on the barrel. Just use a choke gauge to measure the bore and degree of choke. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Handy rule of thumb was to take a dime and try inserting into the muzzle coin edge parallel to bore axis. If it would not enter it was a full choke. Only works on 12 gauge shotguns.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
In my limited experience, Savage made guns from many years ago did not have choke markings on them. Perhaps because most single barrelled models were simply full choked. The single shots like the 94s and even some of the autos, like 720s and double 311s that I have seen were not marked. My Dad resolved the issue by putting a Poly on his 720. Some, no-doubt, were marked, especially the semi-autos and pumps of later manufacture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts