Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Stevens Favorite model 71 was brought to me by an older gentleman with the trigger and hammer out of it I have the springs for it. Needing some advice on how to install these as I have put them in but it doesn't have and pressure on the hammer. The gentleman doesn't have alot of money and I am helping him for free so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum- Remove the butt-stock to expose the mainspring. Install the hammer and then the mainspring under it, OR install the mainspring and push down on the hammer to align the screw hole. Both works.
I don't have a parts picture and none in my head, either. Send me pics and I'll post for posterity and try to figure it out.
You can't post pics yet so send them to j belk 09 at gmail dot com but leave outthedashes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum- Remove the butt-stock to expose the mainspring. Install the hammer and then the mainspring under it, OR install the mainspring and push down on the hammer to align the screw hole. Both works.
I don't have a parts picture and none in my head, either. Send me pics and I'll post for posterity and try to figure it out.
You can't post pics yet so send them to j belk 09 at gmail dot com but leave outthedashes.
I sent you some pictures on your email.

·
Premium Member
15,162 Posts
WHOA! This is different from my foggy memory. Leaf springs have been replaced by helical torsion springs. The springs are strung onto the pivot pins. One end acts on the trigger and one on the frame (?). The hammern spring fits inside the hammer, one end driving the hammer forward the other on the frame or maybe part of the lever and block assembly for some spring tension there. I'd have to look to figure it out.
I'm sure there 're other 'smiths here that's dealt with this newer reproduction of a very old rifle.

Basics-- The main spring keeps the hammer forward at rest. The trigger spring also keeps the trigger in the forward position.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WHOA! This is different from my foggy memory. Leaf springs have been replaced by helical torsion springs. The springs are strung onto the pivot pins. One end acts on the trigger and one on the frame (?). The hammern spring fits inside the hammer, one end driving the hammer forward the other on the frame or maybe part of the lever and block assembly for some spring tension there. I'd have to look to figure it out.
I'm sure there 're other 'smiths here that's dealt with this newer reproduction of a very old rifle.

Basics-- The main spring keeps the hammer forward at rest. The trigger spring also keeps the trigger in the forward position.
Yes sir Mr. Belk this one has given me a fit its a little different than what I have done before. This guy is a fellow Army Veteran and I just want to help him out a little. Thank you for helping me with this.

·
Premium Member
15,162 Posts
Thank you. The secrete to torsion spring are 'slave pins' Cut two pins as long as the hammer and trigger are wide. Install the springs in the parts and hold in place by the slaves. Push the hammer and trigger into place against the static leg tension, align the hole with the pin and drift out the slave with the real pin. Bingo.
The hardware stores have bolt and pin selections. Take the parts in with you to make a pin that is more 'sloppy' than the real part but only by .010 or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. The secrete to torsion spring are 'slave pins' Cut two pins as long as the hammer and trigger are wide. Install the springs in the parts and hold in place by the slaves. Push the hammer and trigger into place against the static leg tension, align the hole with the pin and drift out the slave with the real pin. Bingo.
The hardware stores have bolt and pin selections. Take the parts in with you to make a pin that is more 'sloppy' than the real part but only by .010 or so.
I am going to pick up some pins tonight and try and get this fix for this gentleman thank you Mr. Belk I really appreciate all of your advice and taking the time to help me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts