Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the 308 win and have had mine for about 2 years now. I haven't shot it further than 400 yards, and have always been curious to see how far out this thing can touch effectively. I've done google searches to no luck and am wondering if you guys would happen to know.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,918 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Simple rules - We're a family board, so no bad language and respect the postings of others.

If you look up any of the major ammo manufacturer's web sites, they will have a ballistic table where you can find the external of velocities and foot pounds of energy at various downrange distances for the bullets of choice. Also, most reloading manuals will have this info.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I've got the 308 win and have had mine for about 2 years now. I haven't shot it further than 400 yards, and have always been curious to see how far out this thing can touch effectively. I've done google searches to no luck and am wondering if you guys would happen to know.
The response to your question would hinge entirely on what you mean by the word "touch". The .308Win has been used to compete at 1,000 yard matches since it first arrived on the scene, back in 1952. In fact, it set a few records, during that time. With the right bullet selection, it can be relied upon to touch paper targets at that range, and more, really.

Now, if by "touch", you mean kill a deer, or other thin-skinned medium game, then the range falls to somewhere around 400 yards, and then only with a good deal of practice, at that range. One of the best bullet weights for the amount of case capacity the .308 offers, is the 150gr offerings by various makers. Factory loads push these bullets to around 2800fps and the hand loader can duplicate, and even slightly improve upon, that velocity. In practical terms, this particular loading would have an effective range, without holding above where you want to hit, of about 275-300 yards. For most riflemen, that is plenty far and again, those distances should only be attempted after you've practiced quite a bit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Military snipers have been using the .308 for a very long time, and I am sure they have made kills at more than 1000 yards. It isn't the caliber, it is the guy behind the trigger.
Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses! :)

As for what I meant about reaching out there to touch, I'd mean it in more of a human silohuette target. I'm in the Marine Corps, so I tend to think of a target in that terms, as in if I ever had to hit a person at that range could I do it? Of course I'm not going to go out and do that but more of a would I be able to if I ever had to? Since I'm aiming to go into LE, I wanna keep honing my skills behind a trigger if ever the case comes up where I would have to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Thanks for the responses! :)

As for what I meant about reaching out there to touch, I'd mean it in more of a human silohuette target. I'm in the Marine Corps, so I tend to think of a target in that terms, as in if I ever had to hit a person at that range could I do it? Of course I'm not going to go out and do that but more of a would I be able to if I ever had to? Since I'm aiming to go into LE, I wanna keep honing my skills behind a trigger if ever the case comes up where I would have to pull the trigger.
Thank YOU...for everything you do in defense of our freedoms! Regardless of where you're at or how you're involved, please know that there are many Americans who wholeheartedly support and appreciate the commitment and sacrifices you make to serve our country. If you have any other questions about the 308, or any other round, just ask and we'll do our best to provide you with good information.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thank YOU...for everything you do in defense of our freedoms! Regardless of where you're at or how you're involved, please know that there are many Americans who wholeheartedly support and appreciate the commitment and sacrifices you make to serve our country. If you have any other questions about the 308, or any other round, just ask and we'll do our best to provide you with good information.
Here, here! I agree wholeheartedly!

I watched a 2 hour special last night on the History Channel about the great snipers and some of the most notable shots. The .308 was used in a vast majority of these stories and some very special Marines have surely used this round with great effectiveness.
Dan

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Here, here! I agree wholeheartedly!

I watched a 2 hour special last night on the History Channel about the great snipers and some of the most notable shots. The .308 was used in a vast majority of these stories and some very special Marines have surely used this round with great effectiveness.
Dan

Semper Fi....

I know that Dave King has taken Deer out to 700 yards with a 308. The Military considers the 308 to have an effective range of 1000 yards. The history channel portrayed a Marine that shot an enemy combatant in the sand box running at 600 yards in the head. A great shot under tremendous pressure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya know the funny thing is is that I knew that military snipers would often use the 308 round amongst some of the others and it never dawned on me that my rifle would most likely do the same thing. After all the reviews that I've read, it sounds like this rifle can reach out to that range and hit a target effectively (1000 yards).

·
Banned
131 Posts
If you hand load then you will have no problem beating a scout sniper using issue ammo at range, that is if you are both equal marksmen and have equal gear. Shooting a 155gr Lapua Scenar at 2800fps keeps you above the sound barrier all the way to 1250 yards. It has a BC of .504 versus 175gr Lake City M118-LR having a BC of .240. If you want to shoot to a thousand yards then your going to need to handload or get very lucky and have a rifle like mine that loves factory ammunition. A little tidbit about 1k shooting, Sierra Match Kings have a wobble that they go through during their transonic stage or about 800 yards. Amax or Scenar bullets don't as far as I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts