Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a double stack high capacity 1911 for some time now. STI seems to be quite dominant in the market. It looks like a good product but is it worth $1600? It looks pretty tricked out from the factory. I'm eyeballing their EDGE model.

·
Banned
38 Posts
If wanted a double stack 1911 I would go with Para-Ordinance the originators. Personally in the 1911 I prefer single stack and Kimbers!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
My view, the full-sized single-stack guns can handle 8-rd magazines from Chip McCormick and others, plus 1 in the chamber. 10 rounders if you don't mind the mag extensions.

So.... with the hi-cap mags being limited to 10 rounds, plus whatever stock of old pre-ban mags are laying around, seems like a lot of expense for a few more rounds.

If the Crime Bill sunsets, then might make sense again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Point...

MikeG,
You make good points. But my reasons for choosing a double-stack includes:

No mag sticking out.
Readily available hicap mags (15rnds).

If I wanted, I guess I could go with a 170mm mag and get 18+ rounds.

In any case, this tread is to obtain opinions from users on whether or not STI pistols are worth their asking price.

So... what do you think?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
There are no other pistols that compare with STI's in the same price range. If you want to play shooting games that require high firepower to be competitive, there is really no other pistol that can compare to STI in the price range. I've only fired one on one occasion, and it was sweet shooting pistol. Beyond shooting games or for fun shooting in general, it's hard for many people to conceal a full size .45 let alone a double stack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now... that's good info.

Thanks for your input. That was helpful. I checked into SV guns, but although they are very similar, the price is much more. I guess because most SV guns are "custom".

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
STI guns are mostly aimed at the IPSC world of competition. That is why they are priced so high, because they have all the bells & whistles. If your goal is for a carry gun or for just target shooting, then I would suggest going with the Para-Ordnance. They are a good quality gun which can also be modified later on if you so choose.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Kiesler's Shooting Sports did a review of them on their TV program a few months back and I have looked at them a lot in the store. They are very nice weapons, no question about it. Much better built than my P.O. P-12. If you must have a true 1911 type pistol, the STI are indeed worth every penny from what I have seen, but for my own taste, I still have to go with HKs. Sorry, I just had to put that in there. ;)

·
Banned
1 Posts
Sorry I really dont understand all the interest in the STI they are good comp firearm but there are alot of those out there. For outright custom few have more options SVI, you'd be hard pressed to find a better pistol right out of the box than the Para's limited series, even the Kimber's a fairly good gun(altho not as tight) for comp. I think you really need to figure out why you want to drop that big a wad for a gun when pros are winning national competitions with the likes of Kimber and Para-Ordnance.
http://www.sviguns.com/
http://www.paraord.com/pages/index.html
http://www.kimberamerica.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts