Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using my set of new .30-06 Redding dies, standard FL set, and the case would go in very easily and over the expander ball, but on the way out they were very difficult to take back over the expander button. Should I be wiping a little bit of Imperial die wax on the mouth of each case before I size them or si something else up? I didn't brush out the necks and I was left with a residue on the expander button that looked like a fine layer of brown tar and it came off when I cleaned it with some Break-free CLP. Am I doing something wrong here? I've never lubed the insides of my necks before with Hornady or RCBS or Lee dies. Are the Reddings that much tighter and that's what is causing the problem? Help me out here. TIA
Selmer

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
You should be brushing the insides of the case necks. Some military ammunition has a sealant on the bullets that leaves a gummy mess that you sescribed. I use alot of Redding dies, and they seem to work the same as the RCBS and Hornady sets that I use. As far as lubing the case necks go, I use dry motor mics. You just dip the neck in the powder to leave a fine film, it works very well. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm. This is a link to the lyman page that has the product I use. It is a mica container with three case neck brushes attached that screws to your bench top and includes a cover. It is Item #7631360 and has served me well for quite a few years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would explain it, the cases I was working with are LC Match cases fromt he 60's that are once-fired. I'll be sure to brush them out tonight so I continue to have this problem, thanks for the tip.
Selmer

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Easiest way to clean necks is with old cleaning brushes in a drill, either hand-held or a bench model.

I save my old worn-out cleaning brushes and use them for such duty. Great part is, when they wear enough to be undersized for one caliber, you just move them down to the next bore size!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts