Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
at least out to a hundred with velocitors.. tried 5 shots an 3 was inside
a quarter size target ,with the other two just out side the circle..still good enough for squirrel head shot,,when the time comes to put some on the table..im thinking it will come sooner or later in this country..
i know you young fellas not gonna be impressed with that.. but my hands not like they once were so ,at least i know i can do it when the time cmes....i figure i held about 3 inches high with a scope zeroed at almost 50 yrds..
ive never understood how a person can keep holdover a varying distances ,,in thier head..with a bunch of different type guns..
if i had my way,, it be my 22 an 30 06..theys such a thing for me anyway,, as trying to be proficent with too many different guns..i try to know my 22 an try to know my 06,,an what i can do withum.. 22 with velocitors or hv rnd is good out to 150 ,depending on the game im shootin.. 06 from 20 on out to if necessary 500 yrds..
sounds boreing i know,, to some but a guns a tool for me,,even though i really enjoy shooting..thats not an option with the price of ammo anymore..
time comes an i hit the woods.. my survive skills will come back to me ..slim
ps.. of course i always got the shotgun ..but thats a different type shooting ..for me anyway..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Spot on Slim. Being proficient with the .22 and your .30-06 will put plenty on the table. Finally bought me a good .22 and can't wait to get her in the woods after some squirrels. It will beat the heck out of using my 20 ga. picking pellets out of them.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
My dad and I took my son out shooting today, which is kind of a big deal, because my son has not shown much interest in guns or hunting, even though he'll be 16 this summer. I was happy to see him enjoying it, shooting .22 pistol, 9mm pistol, 30 US carbine and then we all took turns with my grandpa's old .22 single-shot.

It hits a little high n' right, so you aim low n' left, but my boy was making the little steel target spin around, so I was proud as could be. An squirrel within 30 yards would have been in serious trouble. He also shot a couple of full soda cans. (Who drinks diet Mt. Dew?!) He hit one of them on his first try and was really surprised by how much damage those little 9mm bullets can do at 25 feet! :)

Don't you apologize for your shooting, Slim. You didn't do bad at all and the important thing is you're out there practicing and doing your best. If the time comes, I don't imagine your family will go hungry.

·
Banned
107 Posts
That would be some good shooting for most folks slim60. I really enjoy shooting the 22 LR. Have had a resurgence of hunting cottontails with mine. Lots of fun those 22's. Nice to see other folks really enjoying the 22 also.:)

·
Banned
674 Posts
Hey Slim, another old duffer here.

If you want to shoot 100 yards and don't want to change your 50 yard zero put a black sticker 4" over ther x of your bullseye target and you will be awful close to the boiler room of that little black circle thingy messing up the front surface of that target paper. With my Marlin 60 I crank up 16 clicks for 4" and I am in, with my 10/22 I have to crank up 18 clicks for that same 4", Just guessing its more scope issue than gun issue. Might be the gun though because the barrel of the Ruger is 4" shorter than the Marlin.

No appreciable difference at 25 and 50 yards but 100 I might be seeing a little more fall off. Also might be the ammo I am using. I was using Winchester Super X 40 gr solids in the Ruger and 32 gr CCI stingers 32 gr HP in the Marlin.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lots of fun those 22's. Nice to see other folks really enjoying the 22 also.:)
I agree, KT29. Looking back over a long time of shooting and hunting, many of my best memories are of hunting squirrels and rabbits with a .22 when I was a kid. My first squirrel, when I was 8 years old, was shot with a little short-barreled, single shot .22. And, I'll always remember a day as a teen, when there was a foot of snow on the ground, tracking and shooting rabbits in their hides. "Look for the eyes" we said, and it worked. My friend was shooting a Remington Model 121 .22 pump gun and I a Mossberg Model 151 semi-auto, and we put some meat on the table, that day. Our hard-pressed Mothers were mighty pleased. My friend is gone, killed in Korea, but I still have the Mossberg 151 and the memories.

I'm a .22 LR fan through and through.

Spence

·
Banned
107 Posts
I agree, KT29. Looking back over a long time of shooting and hunting, many of my best memories are of hunting squirrels and rabbits with a .22 when I was a kid. My first squirrel, when I was 8 years old, was shot with a little short-barreled, single shot .22. And, I'll always remember a day as a teen, when there was a foot of snow on the ground, tracking and shooting rabbits in their hides. "Look for the eyes" we said, and it worked. My friend was shooting a Remington Model 121 .22 pump gun and I a Mossberg Model 151 semi-auto, and we put some meat on the table, that day. Our hard-pressed Mothers were mighty pleased. My friend is gone, killed in Korea, but I still have the Mossberg 151 and the memories.

I'm a .22 LR fan through and through.

Spence

Some great memories. Thanks for sharing.:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great old picture. I'd let the good folks at Ginko's or someone like them blow that one up then hang it on the wall. The little double barrel and the little hunter are too good to keep hidden in a box, not?
That's a good idea. That picture is of me at age 7-8 in 1940-41. My father had been squirrel hunting and came home with squirrel tails hanging from his jacket pockets. Of course I, the mighty hunter, had to put it on, and somebody snapped my picture. That little double barrel was a great toy. It broke open just like a real shotgun and that cocked plungers in each barrel. There were corks on strings attached, and you stuck them in the muzzles. When you fired, the plunger compressed the air and forced the corks out with a nice loud POP. Wish I had it today.

Spence

·
Banned
415 Posts
My dad and I took my son out shooting today, which is kind of a big deal, because my son has not shown much interest in guns or hunting, even though he'll be 16 this summer. I was happy to see him enjoying it, shooting .22 pistol, 9mm pistol, 30 US carbine and then we all took turns with my grandpa's old .22 single-shot.

It hits a little high n' right, so you aim low n' left, but my boy was making the little steel target spin around, so I was proud as could be. An squirrel within 30 yards would have been in serious trouble. He also shot a couple of full soda cans. (Who drinks diet Mt. Dew?!) He hit one of them on his first try and was really surprised by how much damage those little 9mm bullets can do at 25 feet! :)

Don't you apologize for your shooting, Slim. You didn't do bad at all and the important thing is you're out there practicing and doing your best. If the time comes, I don't imagine your family will go hungry.
Seems like yourself, Corb Lund and I all had the same .22!

From his great and exceedingly catchy song, "Always Keep an Edge on Your Knife":

Never sell the old .22, son, never sell the old .22
'Cause the old .22 has shot a gopher or two,
So don't you never sell the old .22
Aim it to the left, a little low, son,
Aim it to the left, a little low
'Cause the old iron sight fires high and to the right,
So aim it to the left, a little low

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Slim; That is GREAT shooting!!!.............Heck, I cant even see a target, let alone a squirrel at 100 yards!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.