Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone done business with
www.combatstocks.com
I am going to get a Choate Ultimate sniper, and they are BY FAR the cheapest.
Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
I got the Choate Ulitmate Sniper for my Savage 10FP and shot through the Long Range Firing School at Camp Perry with it. I found the very square shape of the forestock at the front of the hand grip to be a problem after shooting in prone for a few hours. I lean my support hand forward in that position, and it got very uncomfortable. I went to the school a second time the following year, but switched to the Choate Ulimate Varmint stock and put an aluminum match rifle hand rest on the rail at the front. That was much, much better.

Both stocks are made from very dense thermoplastic, so they are heavy. Good for prone target work or bipod work. Not so great for carrying over a distance.

The other problem with these stocks is the cheek rest. I found it was too low and too uncomfortable for 1000 yard shooting. I have 20 moa bases under the scope and found I had to go to the hardware store and get some thick pipe insulation to tape over the cheek rest to get the right height and comfort.

The plus side is that the one-piece V-bedding works very well. I have no complaint about the precision of the rifle in this stock.

While at Perry, I picked up an adjustable cheek rest base, figuring to alter the stock to accept it. I haven't got around to completing that project yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts